porting to ATT and iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foxnews1, Sep 7, 2010.

1. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

my contract with sprint ends this Oct and I plan to move to ATT. I am with sprint from day one and don't know anything about ATT.

my company has 17% discount with ATT. I have a few questioms:

1. what is the best way to set up plan and order iphone? through ATT coporate discount site?
    2. Is it better to buy iphone from Apple or ATT? if Apple is better, how do I set up plan with apple and use corp discount?
    3. if I find the service is not good at my house, within how many days can I cancel acct and return phone? if this happends, what happened to my numbers? (since sprint accout is already closes due to porting)
    4. I plan to get the cheapest family plan with one iphone and one dump phone. with sprint I got 550 min with 6PM NW, ATT NW is 9PM but has rollover. I hope this rollover will help out a bit for the 6PM loss.

any other advices that I might not know about?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Signing up for the corporate discount is usually something you do after you purchase the iPhone. You go to AT&T's website and they send you an email to your work account to verify you are an actual employee. It's really simple now.

I used to prefer getting my iPhone at an Applestore rather than at AT&T. However, the last time I did this the airheaded Apple employee not only got my name wrong on my account, but did not port my number correctly which forced me to go to an AT&T corporate store to work it out. The upside was that they gave me the old unlimited data plan as a customer service adjustment for my trouble.

You have 30 days to return your phone and go back to Sprint if you don't like the reception.

The Sprint plan you are on is actually much better than AT&T's -- but the iPhone itself is better than most Sprint phones (the EVO/Epic comes close though). The best data plan on AT&T has a 2GB cap which takes the fun out of using smartphones IMO. If you're like many new iPhone/smartphone users you'll go through a lot of data the first month or two as you realize how much your new device can do.

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

i ordered through the ATT Premier site. you will need to verify your work email address to get the discount. it was pretty painless.
    also, if you are a new customer, be sure to sign up for the referral - you get a $25 gift card (as does the referrer). i'd be happy to refer you. you just need to sign up here https://referral.wireless.att.com/index.pg with in 30 days of getting your phone. you can use my email as the referrer: mgsherry _at_ sbcglobal.net

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Referrals rarely work when someone signs up for a corporate discount. The assumption is that the corporation they've affiliated with for the discount, and not someone else, has referred them.

5. mzd macrumors 6502a

worked for me without any problem. i've never heard of them not working. my sister "referred" me. (not part of a family plan or anything)

6. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

I ordered mine off the Premiere site and it was pretty painless. I just called 611 after I got the phone to port my number because I didn't want them to port it before I actually had the thing. Took maybe 20 minutes before it was active.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will be the first to say Roll over minutes are almost completely worthless. Reason for this is if you are maxing out your plan you have bigger issues. Roll over is only worth something for that very rare month that you talk on the phone a lot. If you are hitting your minute cap every month then you will be going over in very short odder since you never build up a roll over.
    Roll over is cheap advertisements that makes people feel good but cost AT&T next to nothing to run.

Also compare cost with your discount. Remember text messaging cost a lot more on AT&T than sprint. Sprint it gives you unlimited. On AT&T you will either buy 200 per month at $5 a phone or unlimited at $30 for a family plan.

Your 17% discount is only on the base rate. It does not include the extra like data, text messaging.

8. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

actually last time I tried on ATT site, 17% was applied to both base and data. I was supprised since my coworkers told me that it only apply to base price like you said.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

be prepared for it to go either way.

I would say do the math and see if it is worth it because you still have to add 30 for text messaging and 26ish for data with the discount

10. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Discount DOES apply to data, just not texting. $20 for unlimited texting on a single line, no discount.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's correct but it can vary per company on what is discounted.

12. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

I ran to a bit of trouble porting my number from verizon. When I get my phone from the apple store the Apple employee said that everything went through fine but When I got home I got a call from AT&T porting depo stating they needed my account password (never knew I had one) to do the port. After that everything was fine.

13. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't text and won't get text. I just get one iphone with data and a dump phone.