Portrait Mode glitches my entire phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FeliApple, Apr 10, 2017.

1. FeliApple macrumors 6502

FeliApple

I have a new iPhone 7 plus and whenever I try to access the function it does access it but the entire screen turns black, starts making weird stuff and I need to force shut the application for it to work. (The app, portrait mode doesn't work whatsoever.) It tells me the function is still on beta (maybe that's why? Phone is on IOS 10.2)

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Try restarting your device

3. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

FeliApple

Already did. Also, the fireball effect on iMessage bugs out terribly in the same way. I will try updating, but this with older devices didn't happen. (On iOS 6) It is a shame that on Apple's flagship device,on a stable version, this happens. I will try to update as soon as I can connect to a stable Wi-Fi to 10.3.1 to see if that fixes it.
    I have never criticized Apple in my 200 and something posts and two years of being a member. Although honestly, this is unacceptable for a new Device, and I am sorry to say it again, but this didn't happen on all my iOS 6 purchased devices. Apple's software is declining imo. This isn't IOS 10.0 that might be unstable. It should work as intended out of the box. I don't think I am having unrealistic expectations. This isn't okay for a flagship device and I cannot accept it. I will update, again, as soon as I can connect to a stable Wi-F but I shouldn't have to do this for it to work properly.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is really hard to judge what is wrong with your device from the explanation. Maybe if you posted some images or better can you get it to the Apple store so they can diagnose.

5. FeliApple, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

FeliApple

No Apple Store in my Country. As always, bought it and came back. Let me see if I can upload a photo
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    image.png
    I think that's clear enough.
    As I said, the fireball and similar effects on iMessage bug out like that. I thought my phone was entirely broken. This is unacceptable.
    Oh, the camera app exited after I clicked the home button approximately 10 times and the app crashed, then appeared again like 5 times until the phone eventually became responsive.
    I want to emphasize and sorry for that, that this phone is a few hours old and out of the box it started to do that.
    I hope I can fix those two bugs without Apple's intervention because I'm pretty much screwed if not.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would return it regardless If it's only a few hours old. There must be some sort of consumer protection in your country. I understand you don't have an Apple Store in your Country, but you should have some way of achieving a new device or returning the one you have now. Have you tried calling Apple direct?

7. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

FeliApple

Consumer protection in my country? Well maybe if I can dream about it or they might have even banned dreaming about consumer rights. I didn't buy it here, I bought it in the US. I can't see how would I return it.
    I contacted Apple Support online and they told me to update. If that doesn't work I will do a full restore, if that won't fix it, well, as I said, I'm screwed.
    Maybe they didn't understand the issue well because it is hard to explain it without a photo. As you can see, it is pretty bad.
    If updating and restoring doesn't work I honestly don't have a single clue about what to do.

Edit: The rest of the Camera functions and the rest of iMessage work flawlessly. I am hoping that will fix it, because it isn't that my entire phone isn't working. It is just small parts of those two apps.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You mentioned you didn't have an Apple Store in your country, which is why I made the comment about consumer protection if you were "Screwed." It was a suggestion and I have no idea of anything your country offers.

That said, if you purchased it in the U.S. And restoring does not repair it, then contact Apple again and explain you executed all the necessary steps to repair the issue. Perhaps Apple will work with you, being it's only a few hours old as you stated, which if it was Purchased in the U.S, it would follow Apple's 14 Day return policy and has the potential to be returned/exchanged without question.

9. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

FeliApple

I extremely appreciate your help as I cannot get help elsewhere. Didn't mean to be condescending or to attack you, sorry if it seemed that way. I am just frustrated, that's all.
    But pretty much, my country cannot help me. They didn't help me with a product bought here, much less with a product bought abroad.

If I could send it to the US if nothing works I would, but isn't international shipping (I'm in Argentina) complicated or even outright impossible?

Also, my worries about the issue are that it isn't a simple crashing, it is complete glitching with the screen changing colors and black dots appearing everywhere. The phone becomes extremely unresponsive, so I only hope it is a terrible software issue with can be fixed either updating or restoring. If it doesn't, I'll contact Apple again and explain everything I did, but I am fearing they will tell me it has to be exchanged and I don't have that possibility I think... unless I can send it internationally.
    Again, sorry if I seemed offensive and thank you for your help.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can't speak for international shipping laws and regulations, but if the restore does not help, I would contact Apple again and see what they can suggest, being your situation is unique that you purchased the iPhone in United States and you live in Argentina. Good luck and let us know if the restore repaired the issue or if Apple assisted you further.

11. FeliApple, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

FeliApple

Thanks, I will as soon as I get my hands (or my iPhone's antenna band, that would be better) on a faster and stable Wi-Fi, I will try to fix this and report back.
    One more question if I might, sorry for bothering, best way to update it (less possible issues)? As I have been extremely distrustful of updates, I never updated. Is OTA too risky considering my situation? Should I update through iTunes on a Mac? (I have one) to avoid any issues?

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would update though iTunes and be sure to back up your information.

13. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

FeliApple

Well, after tens of Apple Support chat conversations, 4 errors on iTunes, and several hundreds of headaches, I still was not able to solve the issue.
    I updated and restored the phone. Still glitching. Hardware diagnostics were performed on my phone, as always, came out perfect. I even spoke with Apple through the phone, where they told me it was a hardware issue and told me to take the phone to an apple store, thing which I obviously cannot do. They then told me to take the phone to an Authorized service Provider here in Argentina, but, as far as my experience with them is concerned, they know less about Apple devices than a 3-month-old baby.
    So, in the end, I am as screwed as I initially was, and now I have ran out of options to try. Thanks everyone for your help.

14. FeliApple, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

FeliApple

As per Apple's assistance, they told me to contact an authorized provider or get someone who travelled to the US to exchange it. I will do that asap, but it could never happen (Who knows when is anyone related and trustworthy to me travelling to the US? It could be this year or in three years.) What I mean with this is, not soon enough. This is the first time ever where I wish I had not bought an Apple Device.
    I will try to accept that my phone is flawed and live with it, but this is NOT how it should be.
    I have never been so frustrated with an Apple device in my entire life. It goes beyond a stupid problem about a stupid function. I have a problem that I cannot solve by any means and that's the worst part of it.
    Sorry for the long-winded rant but if people here were useful I would not have these issues.
    Edit: I do not mean on this forum, I mean on my country.

15. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

What about upgrading your device to the latest version ? I doubt it will fix your issue but you may want to try and you have nothing to loose unless you are staying on 10.2 for the jailbreak.

Edit : Sorry, didn't see the post above where you say you already updated your device.

16. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

FeliApple

I believe, as per my research on the issue, that portrait mode needs the two cameras. The way the two cameras connect is physically broken on my phone, hence the terrible bug and hence why the rest of the camera functions work flawlessly.

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's unfortunate for all your issues that you have encountered. I certainly hope you will find a more successful solution than what you are in now. Good luck.

18. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

FeliApple

I will try to exchange it with a family member or a person I know who travels to the US. I have four case numbers from Apple. They should not refuse, but again I have no idea when will that be. In the meantime, I will live with it and forget portrait mode is there. Just enjoy the rest of the phone. The battery, the parts of the camera that work, and all the new stuff. Really, there is nothing I can do. But this is extremely frustrating to be completely honest.
    Heck, it could be much worse. I could have no phone, it could even refuse to turn on and I still would not be able to do anything from here. Now, I can just get used to it and wait.
    Again, thanks everyone.