Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmh1028

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Does anybody know if the portrait mode on the iPhone 11 Pro is (always) zoomed in like it is in previous models (i.e., iPhone XS, iPhone X) compared to the iPhone XR? I believe the iPhone X(S) uses both cameras (?) but the portrait image is always very close-looking (as if it’s based off of telephoto lens) whereas the XR uses its single wide-lens camera and does portrait mode via software rather than hardware.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think your topic is a little off. The iPhone 11 doesn’t have a portrait mode. The 11 pro/pro Max does.

The 11 opted for the wide lens instead of the portrait lens.

jmh1028

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I think your topic is a little off. The iPhone 11 doesn’t have a portrait mode. The 11 pro/pro Max does.

The 11 opted for the wide lens instead of the portrait lens.

Actually, the iPhone 11 does have Portrait Mode. You are correct though that it does not have a telephoto lens like the Pro version.

If you look at the Apple website under iPhone 11, they go into depth about their improvements with Portrait Mode

Attachments

• iPhone 11 - Apple.pdf
    8.8 MB · Views: 86

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Actually, the iPhone 11 does have Portrait Mode. You are correct though that it does not have a telephoto lens like the Pro version.

If you look at the Apple website under iPhone 11, they go into depth about their improvements with Portrait Mode

Thanks. I knew it was slightly different. IMO, the 11 is the best stop gap if you have an older phone. The trade in values are actually good. Getting $400 for an X two years later is nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.