Portrait Mode Quality Is bad?

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Is it just me or is the quality of portrait mode pictures pretty bad, besides barely able to see a difference.

Played around with it only a couple of times but every time ive tried it the pictures end up looking kinda grainy and lack colors and sharpness (of the focused object obviously) like it was taken with the Facetime Camera of a 4S

colbyjohn94

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
Portait mode only really works in good sunlight. If you are indoors it will look grainy because there is not enough light.

Trying going outside during the day and do portrait mode on a flower or something and you will see a huge difference in quality.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
The telephoto camera has bad lowlight capabilities
Try doing one in direct sunlight

Also, make sure there is a good background, and a defined subject
Try putting some depth between the background and the subject

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
Attached outdoor/indoor depth effect on 7+, stock cam, no edit.

depth effect is like any mobile camera...lighting makes the picture better.
1st picture is pretty awful, and it added glow around the ice cream so smooth the edges
2nd picture is pretty good, nothing special

Remember everyone, Portrait Mode is designed for faces and people (hence the name) so don't expect it to get objects on point 100%

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I think they sleep closer to 22 hours/day. But I don't want a picture of a sleeping cat.

One of mine loves having his picture taken and poses. Mostly when they see you with the camera, they come closer and closer until their noses are up against the phone.

My biggest problem remains taking a decent shot of my favorite, who is jet black.

They sleep like 20 hours a day! Surely that's ample opportunity.
Cats do not sleep when you want to take their picture.

View attachment 684481

Reactions: Newtons Apple

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
It's terrible and everyone that wants higher quality images should agree.
All this processing is just a bandaid method to improve consumer happiness with the images with the least effort/cost.

Yes processing is a big part but we need bigger and better lenses and sensors.