Portrait photography

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
426
0
London, UK
Well I've searched, but it doesn't seem as though we already have a portraits thread. So here goes...

These photos were taken at a summer party we went to yesterday. The little girl is called Maria and although she wouldn't smile she was quite happy to pose for me.





Thanks for looking and feel free to post your own.
 

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
310
0
somewhere in kansas
cookie1105 said:
Well I've searched, but it doesn't seem as though we already have a portraits thread. So here goes...

These photos were taken at a summer party we went to yesterday. The little girl is called Maria and although she wouldn't smile she was quite happy to pose for me.

Thanks for looking and feel free to post your own.
Those are great, and a great thread idea, especially for those who want more people pictures, I will have to try and find something.
 

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
1,490
2,048
What did you photograph her with? Looks nice and shallow as it gets near the back of her head. The second one has the best eyes in it, by far!

I usually post people photos when I put things in the photo of a day thread. I'll look through and find some to post in here, too.
 

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
483
2
All right! :) People pictures are my favorite and hold my interest the most. Here are two. One was in the POTD thread. I'll post more in the future. (When my photo computer isn't tied up running a massive batch process :mad: )



 

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
483
2
cookie1105 said:
Well I've searched, but it doesn't seem as though we already have a portraits thread. So here goes...

These photos were taken at a summer party we went to yesterday. The little girl is called Maria and although she wouldn't smile she was quite happy to pose for me.
Lens? Lighting? Beautiful girl and awesome pictures!
 

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
426
0
London, UK
Cheers guys.

350d + 50mm f/1.4

Both shot under ambient light. Exposed for 1/125s @ f/2

BTW, I like the wedding shot beavo. Great backlight. I saw it in POTD when you first posted it, but never commented
 

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
1,490
2,048
Yeah, I totally dig the wedding shot. Pretty much a perfect wedding that that I'm sure they have framed now.

Here's a few I shot two weeks ago in Shreveport, LA. All of the same model, using a D70s with the 18-70 Nikon DX lens.





 

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
127
0
Fertile, MN
Beautiful!

Beavo451!: Very beautiful wedding photograph and portraiture! The girl seems to be a piercing personality with a lot of strength.

FrankieTDouglas: That lady seems very relaxed around you. I appreciate the spontaneous nature of the pictures. Is she a good friend of yours?

Here are two portraits I took with my old beater camera. I love taking photos of people out of all the different types of photography that one can do.

This is Harold, a solitary Norwegian man.


This is Katie. She is the daughter of my printmaker instructor. She's a lot of fun!


Cookie
Wow, that child has a strong gaze. The softness of the image compliments her features. Well done!
 

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
310
0
somewhere in kansas
beavo451 said:
All right! :) People pictures are my favorite and hold my interest the most. Here are two. One was in the POTD thread. I'll post more in the future. (When my photo computer isn't tied up running a massive batch process :mad: )
These are great, the eyes are incredible in the first one, I like that you didn't blow out the pupils with the catch lights, see that way to often.

I don't have many portraits (that I have permission to post), however I doubt she one will sue me for this, well at least not for a few years yet.

5D
24-105 at 24 mm
F4
1/800
ISO 400
 

Attachments

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
310
0
somewhere in kansas
FrankieTDouglas said:
Yeah, I totally dig the wedding shot. Pretty much a perfect wedding that that I'm sure they have framed now.

Here's a few I shot two weeks ago in Shreveport, LA. All of the same model, using a D70s with the 18-70 Nikon DX lens.

[/IMG]
Really looking forward to more of yours, outstanding!
 
L

Lau

Guest
Bocheememon said:
This is Katie. She is the daughter of my printmaker instructor. She's a lot of fun!
She's also exceptionally attractive. :)

Nice shots, you definitely get the feel for the people in them.
 

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
310
0
somewhere in kansas
Bocheememon said:
Beavo451!:
Here are two portraits I took with my old beater camera. I love taking photos of people out of all the different types of photography that one can do.
These are great, what "old beater" camera did you use?
 

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
127
0
Fertile, MN
Thanks!

Lau: Thank you! Yes, she's a lovely lady. She could be a model. Every time I see her, she has a different look. She's got that chameleon beauty that lets her be whatever she wants when it comes to styles and trends.

snap58
The 'old beater' is a Minolta SRT-101 using a MC Rokkor Lens 28mm 2.8 and MC Rokkor 50mm 1.4.

The shot of the baby(is that your child?) has a lot of visual rhythm that compliments that vocal cry of the child. The grass is what creates the rhythm and also how it wraps around the child to compliment the open mouth. Poor child looks like she missed dinner with a face like that. :(

Well done!

Edit: Oh, I get baby fever! Cute girl! *pinchy poo*
 

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
310
0
somewhere in kansas
Bocheememon said:
snap58 The 'old beater' is a Minolta SRT-101 using a MC Rokkor Lens 28mm 2.8 and MC Rokkor 50mm 1.4.
Wow, that is a classic, all manual isn't it? Makes me wish I had kept my AT-1. I think W. Eugene Smith used one of those. What did you use to scan them in?

Bocheememon said:
The shot of the baby(is that your child?) has a lot of visual rhythm that compliments that vocal cry of the child. The grass is what creates the rhythm and also how it wraps around the child to compliment the open mouth. Poor child looks like she missed dinner with a face like that. :(

Well done!

Edit: Oh, I get baby fever! Cute girl! *pinchy poo*


Thanks. She belongs to friends sister. The grass was perfect for the pictures but she did not want mom to put her down. As it turned out everyone loves the crying picture best.

Looking forward to more of your work.
 

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
426
0
London, UK
That baby picture is amazing snap. I really like the effect that a wide angle lens gives to portraits.

She is a very pretty lady FrankieTDouglas, great pictures.

One last one before calling it a night. This is Heidi, a friend of ours who was also at the party. The only lights were the candles on the table. Challenging to say the least:)




reb xt + 50mm f/1.4
ISO 1600
1/30s @ f/1.6
 

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
483
2
One more for today. This was about 8 months ago on a D50.

EDIT: Color should be correct now (stupid ICC profile switching crap :mad: )

 

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
310
0
somewhere in kansas
cookie1105 said:
That baby picture is amazing snap. I really like the effect that a wide angle lens gives to portraits.

She is a very pretty lady FrankieTDouglas, great pictures.

One last one before calling it a night. This is Heidi, a friend of ours who was also at the party. The only lights were the candles on the table. Challenging to say the least:)



reb xt + 50mm f/1.4
ISO 1600
1/30s @ f/1.6
You are really putting that 50 F1.4 through the paces, great picture.
 

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
1,490
2,048
Bocheememon said:
FrankieTDouglas: That lady seems very relaxed around you. I appreciate the spontaneous nature of the pictures. Is she a good friend of yours?
Thanks. She was actually very nervous, so a lot of the time was spent telling jokes to have her relaxed, and then I'd click during her in-between moments of poses for that spontaneous feeling.

I'll post a quick series that will grow in time. The first shot was taken with a KSX SLR and has the previous shot of film clipping into it, but I liked the expression so I kept it. Probably one of my most favorites shots in my personal collection. But I'm using my D70s from here on to finish the series, just haven't decided on the lens and etc so each shot stays fairly consistent in framing.







 

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
127
0
Fertile, MN
beavo451: There is a definite look to the woman and her pose that reminds me of classical portraits of old. The horizontal angles of the tree and slight angle are well balanced with her posture. The out-of-focus(Bokeh-like) leaves add a gentle border to the image that moves attention toward her face. Nicely done.

FrankieTDouglas:
Interesting series. What is the main statement of the series about? I'm interested :). I love bridges, especially railroad bridges. They are composed of so many interesting angles. These angles work as a way of not interfering with the main focus of the subject: the people.

Just one quick tip for your portraits. In some instances it is ok to cut off part of the person's head. In this setting, I would recommend including their entire head as you have in the first image. All the people are very lovely and have penetrating gazes. You must like intensity! I like intensity too.

cookie1105:
Excellent portrait! She is gorgeous and classy! The black space is an excellent touch in the darkness of the candlelight. Excellent, successful effort!

One tip:
I would recommend cropping a little bit on the top and right side, so that she isn't so centered. Her gaze is facing towards the left. When the subject faces a certain direction it imbues a visual movement. By leaving less space in the area they are not facing, it helps direct the viewer.

snap58:
It is all manual. W. Smith used that camera before. I like that aspect because I really have to learn to be quick. When I switch to my DSLR, I suddenly realize how spoiled I am to have autofocus, aperture priority, and all that fun stuff that I do appreciate :p.

Maybe you can find your old camera on ebay and relive the good old times?

Cute baby, and If I saw the other images in that shot, I'm sure I would have liked the crying one as well.

Eugene Smith is an amazing photographer with so many beautiful images. A timeless classic among legends.
 

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
1,568
0
Brooklyn
Most of what I've got in the way of people right now, I already posted in my thread about 2 months ago, but I'll post a few that I like the most.






All were taken with a RebelXT, probably all at ISO1600, because I had no fast lenses back then.
 

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
1,490
2,048
seenew said:
All were taken with a RebelXT, probably all at ISO1600, because I had no fast lenses back then.
Creative shots, I was just wondering about this last statement. You're shooting in daylight, so even a slow lens is fine. Even with the sun setting, you could probably shoot f/4.5 at 1/30 shutter with 200 ISO. Really no need for such a high ISO unless it's for a particular style approach.
 

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
127
0
Fertile, MN
Yup.

seenew:Some nice shots you got there as a series. The last picture is interesting with the character interaction and play with the wall and arch. For the coolness, the third shot wins. That is a sexy manly shot that is composed just right.

Edit: Oh, I left a few suggestions for you FrankieTDouglas in my earlier post. I didn't realize that I put in the wrong name for comments.

Nice work everyone! Can't wait to see more!
 

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
1,568
0
Brooklyn
FrankieTDouglas said:
Creative shots, I was just wondering about this last statement. You're shooting in daylight, so even a slow lens is fine. Even with the sun setting, you could probably shoot f/4.5 at 1/30 shutter with 200 ISO. Really no need for such a high ISO unless it's for a particular style approach.
Was shooting a lot of these with a 75-300. Some in shade, some not. The 1600 was necessary, or at least 800 (might have even been 800), I like to shoot at at least 1/60.
Thanks for the comment, though.

And thanks, Bocheememon.