Portrait photos rotated when emailed in ios4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ThirdRail, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ThirdRail macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed that when you email a photo that is oriented as portrait, it appears as landscape in the email? For some reason, ios4 automatically positions photos to be viewed as landscape. When the email is checked on the phone, the orientation is correct. But when the email is viewed on a computer, it appears sideways.
    I've searched forums for the past hour or so and only found this mentioned in 1 other place.

Is anyone else having this problem?

2. matt15f macrumors member

Im having the exact same issue when copying pics/video off of the iphone4 onto my computer. I have started searching around but havent found anything on it yet.

3. este00 macrumors newbie

Me three.

****** problem. Every PORTRAIT photo I email is turned 90º ccw. It doesn't stop there though...

Front facing portrait has the same problem.

Front facing portrait shot upside down emails 90º cw!

Landscape with rear shot with (home button left) camera not effected / emails fine. If shot with home button right, the emailed pic is updside down but this is fair enough. Main issue is it looks fine in Roll but not after emailed.

Landscape with front camera emails upside down if shot with home button to your right. If shot with home button to the left, it emails fine. Both display correctly in the photo-roll.

I'm using IMAP and Thunderbird. Anyone getting emailed photos to show on the correct orientation?

4. este00 macrumors newbie

Odd Odd Odd.... If opened in Gmail, the thumbnail is in the correct oriantation, but the actual picture is rotated just like in Thunderbird.

Pictures in emails opened on the phone look fine (of course).

5. finnmaccool macrumors newbie

Getting exactly this, too. But if "downloaded" in GMail it's rotated (even when opened directly into firefox from the save dialog). So only GMail's inline preview is correctly oriented.

6. bluechipBMW macrumors member

Yep...same with me. I actually posted the same thing the other day. I wonder why this is happening and if there's a solution.

7. donnywyatt macrumors newbie

JPEG files can contain some metadata to say what the orientation is. So a file that is saved horizontally can contain info to rotate it 90 degrees so it shows vertically.

We did some testing this morning, and it appears that prior iPhone OSs just rotated the file to the right direction. OS4, however, appears to send everything horizontally, but then includes the "Orientation" metadata about the correct direction of the image.

It's then up to your picture viewing software to rotate it properly.

Gmail's preview seems to read that info and show it appropriately. But when you download it, your software may not -- hence the inconsistency.

Why the change between OSs? Who knows.

Hope that helps...

Donny

8. hzeat macrumors member

very helpful, thank you. i've noticed Flickr is ok...but Facebook not so much.

9. jdmcelica macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the same issue when I email photos to twitter.... really frustrating.

[​IMG]

10. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

I just noticed this today. When I emailed a photo that was taken in portrait orientation, it was turned horizontal in the email.

Anyone find a fix?

11. este00 macrumors newbie

No fix that I've been able to find.

I wonder is anyone here not upgrading from a jailbroken phone? Not upgrading at all? I would think there would be a bigger issue if it was everyone... It doesn't seem to be everyone but idk.

I upgraded/restored to my 4 from a jailbroken 3G.

12. ThirdRail thread starter macrumors newbie

I was running a stock 3gs and had no problems with picture orientation. Upgraded to iPhone4 and that's when the problem started. Seems to happen to a lot of people and hopefully will be fixed when ios 4.1 comes out.

Another interesting flaw I experience is when emailing a photo to myself:
    -if I use Mail on my Mac, I can open the picture with Preview or Photoshop.
    -if I use any browser (firefox, ie) and go into my mail account (like when I'm not at home), when I try and open the picture in Preview or PS, I get an error message stating:
    (Preview) "Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn't recognize" or
    (Photoshop) "Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."
    This has occurred when tested with Preview 4.2, Photoshop CS and Photoshop CS4.

Apple really screwed a lot of things up with this new software.

13. wesesq macrumors newbie

Emailed Photo Orientation Wrong with New iPhone 4

I think I have the same problem as noted by este00. All photos taken with, and sent from, my new iPhone 4 appear with the wrong orientation in email. My portrait photos are rotated 90 degrees, and my landscape photos (which I shoot with the Home button on the left) are flipped upside down. I am using Earthlink email. I did not have this problem with my old iPhone 3G.

14. pardalotte macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem when including portrait images as attachments in Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 for Mac. Although I send the file as an attachment, when it is received by other Thunderbird or Outlook Express users it is in the body of the message and rotated to landscape orientation. However recipients using Mac Mail see the image in the body of the message but correctly oriented.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

Steve jobs response: Stop attaching portrait images. :D

16. mssaeed macrumors newbie

having same problem could anyone let me know when find a fix for this :mad::mad::mad:

17. MurphyM macrumors 6502

18. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I created an alternate workaround for this problem that requires a Mac. You email the photo to yourself and your Mac rotates the photo and sends it back.

Use the photo returned to your iPhone as the one you send out.

http://murphymac.com/iphone-photo-rotation-part-two/

19. Jewleeia macrumors newbie

I think this issue is even worse than everything mentioned above. When I download Picts from my iPhone 4 to my windows xp pc all my Picts are rotated . When I rotate the image on my pc the image gets way smaller (skinnier actually) so when I try to set a rotated image as my desktop background it gets stretched way out of proportion and becomes horribly distorted. The camera is why I bought an iPhone and I am livid about this idiotic issue! How can this be fixed? And why would it have been done this way to begin with? Am I even able to save my Picts to my computer in the original quality they were taken? What's next....an apple logo watermark over all the Picts I try to print?!!? I love everything else about my phone, this is the 1st major issue I've had.

20. cdrwinston macrumors regular

Just noticed this issue. When I use camera+(which has been yanked from the app store) it sends the pictures in the correct orientation. Does anyone know if any other camera apps solve the problem?