Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UWF404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
What type of lighting/lens/background is ideal for a home setup? I have a Canon 20D digital SLR with 17-85M lens. Would like to setup ideal situation at home for taking photos of our 6 month old with a low cost glamour shot type setting. :confused: :confused:

Wes Jordan

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
Well if you want a studio set-up, you need a main light and a fill light. After that you are likely to want at least one backdrop, an umbrella, softbox (second to the umbrella). You may also want a target to help you with exposure......

I guess I could go on, but the most important is to get the two lights. Some stores (like B&H) offer a starter kit, and White Lighting (http://www.white-lightning.com/) does too, and they make GREAT lights.

Edit: you will need a wireless transmitter to fire the flash when you hit the shutter.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
UWF404 said:
What type of lighting/lens/background is ideal for a home setup? I have a Canon 20D digital SLR with 17-85M lens. Would like to setup ideal situation at home for taking photos of our 6 month old with a low cost glamour shot type setting. :confused: :confused:

It's easy to buy a full sutio setup. All it takes is money. I've got a Norman powerpack setup I bought from a studio going out of bussines. But if you want "low cost" that's easy too. In fact with a DSLR you don't need nearly the amount of light a medium format camera needs.

Things I'd look for (1) Wein "slaves" these are little one inch cubes that attach to a cheap strobe and turn it into a "slave" buy some cheap and powerfull Vivitar, Metz or Sunpack strobes for like $75 each. Get two or three units. These are very powerfull for the price. Fit each witht a wein slave. (2) Get an on-camera strobe. The smallest unit you can find that can be made to swivel and tilt. Aim it at the ceiling or the back wall. The purpose of this on-camera unit is to trigger the wein slaves. (3) photoflex "softboxes". or umbrellas, the bigger the better (3) stands, clamps and holders, clamps and so on. You can never have enough

For babies use blankets and the like for backgrounds

The histogram display in the camera makes an idea flash meter. Take test shots durring setup to tune the lighting so as not to "wearout" the subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.