Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
going to do some portrait shooting tonight with my girlfriend, itll be at night, inside moderately lit room using the onboard flash, what do i need to know? Should i use the portrait mode, or try some of the creative zone functions?

im guessing ISO 800, most likely using my 50mm f1.8 lens, for its sharpness, though I my try all three (kit lens, and 70mm-300mm) and just see how well it works, this is really the first time im going to be shooting people (that sounds bad dosent it?) and would love any advice, thanks!!!

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Sorry I dont have an answer but I am also interested in what people say. I might be doing the when I get back into the states.

iJordo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Well you might wanna try about an 800 ISO, going any higher might give you a bad grainy look, maybe some sort of spotlight, try your best not too use flash.... Automatic Portait Mode will put a hard flash on it and it will look pretty bad.... But.... use night portrait mode....try it.... it throws a more natural flash look on the subject...it is the option with a face and a star on it..... only u have to keep the camera still until the shutter finishes... maybe a tripod would help..... thats all i got

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
If you are shooting with the f/1.8 at ISO 400-640 you won't need a flash. If you do, something is wrong with your settings or you should turn on the lights! ;)

Flashes (especially onboard ones) are not very good and usually do more damage than good. Experiment with the lens all the way down to f/1.8 and you'll get some great results.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Since you'll be inside, try get some lamps etc. and shade them to compensate for the flash. Also try shoot as low an ISO as possible and shoot M with the reading from the models face. This way, the model with be the perfect exposure, not over blown because the camera is trying to compensate the darkness of the room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.