portrait shooting w/ XTi

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by squeeks, Nov 16, 2007.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

going to do some portrait shooting tonight with my girlfriend, itll be at night, inside moderately lit room using the onboard flash, what do i need to know? Should i use the portrait mode, or try some of the creative zone functions?

im guessing ISO 800, most likely using my 50mm f1.8 lens, for its sharpness, though I my try all three (kit lens, and 70mm-300mm) and just see how well it works, this is really the first time im going to be shooting people (that sounds bad dosent it?) and would love any advice, thanks!!!

2. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Sorry I dont have an answer but I am also interested in what people say. I might be doing the when I get back into the states.

3. iJordo macrumors member

Well you might wanna try about an 800 ISO, going any higher might give you a bad grainy look, maybe some sort of spotlight, try your best not too use flash.... Automatic Portait Mode will put a hard flash on it and it will look pretty bad.... But.... use night portrait mode....try it.... it throws a more natural flash look on the subject...it is the option with a face and a star on it..... only u have to keep the camera still until the shutter finishes... maybe a tripod would help..... thats all i got

4. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've heard that the 50 f/1.8 is a great portait lens for crop-sensor bodies...

6. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

so what are you suggesting instead

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

If you are shooting with the f/1.8 at ISO 400-640 you won't need a flash. If you do, something is wrong with your settings or you should turn on the lights! ;)

Flashes (especially onboard ones) are not very good and usually do more damage than good. Experiment with the lens all the way down to f/1.8 and you'll get some great results.

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Since you'll be inside, try get some lamps etc. and shade them to compensate for the flash. Also try shoot as low an ISO as possible and shoot M with the reading from the models face. This way, the model with be the perfect exposure, not over blown because the camera is trying to compensate the darkness of the room.