Ports and cables

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Zillion, May 7, 2014.

1. Zillion, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014

Zillion macrumors regular

Zillion

Hi!

I am very happy with my new Macbook air 11 inch, it's very fast and outperforms my iMac mid 2011, which I gonna sell.

However I want the following to connect on my Macbook Air for coding :
    • wired ethernet
    • 2x Dell U2412M monitors which have the following specs:
      1 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
      1 DisplayPort(DP)
      1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)
      1 USB 2.0 upstream port
      4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
    • wired Apple keyboard
    • wired mouse

Now I do have 1 mini-display to dvi cable which can be connected to the Thunderbird port

I could buy 1 USB to DVI cable for the 2nd monitor

But than I only have 1 USB port left for the keyboard / mouse (connects to the keyboard) combo or for a USB 3 to ethernet cable.

So maybe it comes down to either splitting the USB for the keyboard at the ethernet or at the 2nd monitor.

Any advice and experiences would be welcome!

Thx

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'd get a USB 3.0 hub. But the real problem is that this is the wrong Mac for the task since it is designed for maximum portability and has the fewest ports of any Mac model. Ideal for what you are doing would be a Mac mini, probably with an SSD drive since that's why your Air is so much snappier than your old iMac. Or even an SSD drive transplant into your old iMac would do wonders.

3. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I'll agree a SSD would speed up any older Mac.
    If you're trying to use the MacBook Air as a desktop replacement of the iMac, you may as well buy a Thunderbolt dock solution and it'll cut your clutter down instead of wearing out/stressing your USB ports... most support two monitors, built-in ethernet, built-in audio(audio out & mic), 3-4 USB 3.0 ports and sometimes FW400/800.

For USB consolidation newer Logitech wireless mice+keyboards can share a single nano receiver.

From owning a few notebooks since 2003, if you rely upon frequent plug/unplug of USB devices on a regular basis you have a higher failure risk--this is more prone to happen with flash drives. Last year I had to replace the front USB panel of a PC as users wore it out.

4. Zillion thread starter macrumors regular

Zillion

thx, I gonna think about keeping the iMac and upgrading it with an SSD or buying a USB3 hub

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Something like this should make life easier I think.

http://www.j5create.com/our-products/docking-stations/jud500.html