Ports on the skylake rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tiwwaa, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Tiwwaa macrumors newbie

Hi, I think we can all agree on, that sooner or later the skylake-era will be here. When these processors arrive do you think that they will come with a redesign for the rMBP? If so how many ports do you guys think will be left untouched?

I am in the position of deciding whether or not to buy a SSD for my 2010 MBP too squeeze the last bit of life out of it and try to hold on for skylake, or just buy the newly released Broadwell version. I’m not really in need of the full performance capabilities that the skylake version will offer but i guess it would be nice to have a truly new computer. However a decisive factor for me is if they keep USB 3.0 ports on the 13". I use peripherals a lot and having to use an adapter for them to work would be a big con. Therefore the current model might be a safer choice for me?

Much thanks for speculations!

2. NOT-A-FANBOY macrumors newbie

I originally planned on waiting for Skylake rMBP but I have decided against it and ordered a Broadwell rMBP 13" (sold my early 2011 MBP 13" in the process).
    A complete redesign is likely with Skylake, and I can only advise against buying first-gen products from Apple - they always have their quirks. The rMBP product line is really solid and finally has enough power to drive the high-res display and then some.
    Some people say the industrial design of the current rMBP is outdated, but I think it's timeless and will look fresh for quiet some time.

If you need more power, buy now. The refresh of the redesigned rMBP might come as late as early 2017; I wouldn't want to wait that long. You might still get a decent price on your old MBP as well.

3. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't change the casing for the skylake model. If USB3 in its current form is important to you I'd buy the 2015 rMBP. The biggest significant change port wise I think is gonna be that they replace USB3 ports to USBC.

4. vbedia macrumors regular

It's likely

Personally, I would like to see at least two thunderbolt ports 3.0, an independent power connector, two USB C, hdmi 2.0??. This is a mix of things I would like and things I expect.

I don't expect to see USB 3.0 ports in their current form for the newly designed rMBP

5. Tiwwaa thread starter macrumors newbie

How long do you guys think it will take for USB C to become the new standard for peripherals (headphones, external HDDs, USB memory sticks, printers, etc.)?

6. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

It will be a welcome bonus if they keep a USB3 port on the skylake model besides Thunderbolt (hopefully TB3) and USBC. That would be a great transition machine.

7. journeyy macrumors regular

I hope they are able to kind of merge the Air and Pro line - not much heavier than the previous Air, but retina display and Pro Power.

8. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

The hunt for lightness and super thin laptops have become absurd. I don't think the rMBP need to be any thinner and lighter. I'd rather have them add a col of mm to be able to have the ram unsoldered again.

9. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I agree with this. The current rMBP is more than thin enough. I have the 2014 13" and it's perfect size.

10. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I would bet the farm that they will keep USB 3 ports on the Skylake rMBP's. You could drop a SSD into your 2010 with plans to take it out and use it as an external TimeMachine backup once your new shiny Skylake arrives. Worse case scenario (e.g. if I lose the farm) you can pick up a 2015 rMBP on the refurb store.

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I really don't think they'd drop all USB -A ports on thr Skylake model.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

I agree on the thinness, but lighter is always welcome. ;)

I'd bet that the next iteration of the MBP (and the one after that as well) will still have USB Type-A. It will take years for USB-C to replace it (if it does at all).

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

If the new MacBook is anything to go by I suspect they will replace the standard USB connections with USB-C ones on the next iteration of MacBooks.

14. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

I think its 50/50 if they keep the old USB port design. I hope they do. Having both would be insanely good. I'm more worried about them losing TB, its an underrated port. Nightmare configuration would be only USBC ports and them removing TB. Don't think it will be happening but hopefully I'll permanently jinx it by mentioning it in here.

15. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

If they ditch magsafe there’s no way I’d get one.

16. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

17. chabig macrumors 68040

Because you can get MagSafe on so many other PCs?

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

My guess is the thunderbolt ports will be replaced with USB-C and the HDMI port will also be removed (since Type C can do video out). No way they get rid of USB-A this year on the Pro machines. It's still too widely used. Magsafe could go either way though depending on the feedback they get once the rMB is out in the wild.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You'll get as many

different speculations as there are posters and it will make not one whit of difference in the end.

I would get a new one, the current crop are fantastic computers as are the haswell versions. Get one now and have the productivity you need for a year before skylake comes out that is far more important than waiting for some mythical performance capabilities (news alert-they aren't going to be anything more than an incremental increase the same as the last 4 years).

20. steveyo macrumors regular

how odd...

For a brand known for its audiophile followers, I can't find a lot of USB-C DACs

21. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I think the 2016 MacBook Pro models will take many design cues from the new 12" MacBook.

I expect the 2016 models to be significantly slimmer than the current 13" & 15" models but I expect to see some/all USB 3.0 ports replaced with USB 3.1 Type-C ports and I expect to see at least two of them on the 13" model and up to three on the 15" model.

I expect the 2016 Pro's to adopt the same keyboard as the 12" MacBook as well and I think it's a given that Apple will pack the batteries in a similar fashion to the 12" model to help keep it really slim.

Broadwell is just a stop-gap release. I think with the release of Skylake & Cannonlake is what will allow Apple to reinvent the MacBook Pro and take it to a new level. That's my hope anyway.

22. leman macrumors 604

I expect (and hope) that they will fully migrate to USB-C. As will the rest of the industry in the next few years btw. Right now, there might not be that many peripherals which use USB-C, but it will change quickly.

23. wct097 macrumors 6502

I don't want USB-C charging either. I'd prefer to continue to use my spare magsafe chargers (one in the office, one in the home office, and one in my laptop bag) without having to spring for several $90 power bricks that will break or wear out inside of a year and a half.

One of the best features, IMO, of the MBP, is the power cord that can't break the port if someone trips over it.

I'm not convinced we'll see a massive redesign with Skylake and I really don't want to see USB-C replacing all of the USB 3.0 ports. Apple took years to actually put 3.0 on their laptops in the first place and now that we have it, I don't want to have to get a bag of $$$ adapters to carry around.

Honestly, I don't want a thinner machine. My mid-2012 has been a major hassle with the design flaws that cause the logic board to break every so often. I'd rather see Apple put some effort into ensuring longevity and stability of their hardware.

If I could pick the changes to the MBP I'd do as follows:
    * Expand the screen size by shrinking the bezel a bit
    * Replace one of the TB ports with USB-C
    * Implement their new keyboard and trackpad
    * Offer it in space grey or whatever they call that color
    * 1tb SSD & 32gb RAM
    * Keep discrete GPU, but get it right this time

I'm hoping for Skylake in late 2015.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Because most of us already have recent-vintage or current Macs with MagSafe. And our displeasure with the change can registered with Apple by not upgrading for a few years.

I think it's a longshot that MagSafe will go away immediately. But if USB-C makes it to the next MBP redesign, I wouldn't be surprised to see it accept power from either port.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What makes you think there won't be a refresh before that or are you suggesting a redesign is unlikely before then? I suspect we'll see an update long before then. There aren't any quad broadwell cpus to implement here. Either Broadwell or Skylake variants will show up before the end of this year though. They don't necessarily have to accompany a redesign.