Positive experience with Apple Store Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesryanbell, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Since I got my 11" MBA, I've relagated my MBP to desktop usage (hooked up to 27" ACD). It's been plugged in for a few months, and when I picked it up off of the desk, the battery had swollen considerably and was bowing out the removable cover (late '08 model MBP). Once I took it off, I couldn't even get it back on at all.

Went to the local Apple store, told the Apple rep that the battery swelled up and was defective, and that I DIDN'T have Apple Care. The rep told me he probably couldn't get it covered, but he'd talk to his manager. Within five minutes I had a free battery because "batteries aren't not supposed to do that". Thank you awesome store employee, and manager.

I've had things like this happen time after time after time. Never - EVER - had Apple Care. Never had a problem.

What a great company. :)

-- Ryan

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have always had great experiences with the apple store as well. I recently took my MacBook in for an issue completely unrelated to the surface damage on the computer, and they decided to replace the entire outside casing and fix the other issue for free. I did have AppleCare but it definitely doesn't cover cosmetic damage, and they replaced it anyways :)

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I love hearing stories like this. Glad they replaced it for you :).

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

My mid-2009 13" battery was swelling and pressing up on the track pad. I took it to an Apple store and they replaced it for free, and I had no warranty or apple care.

5. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

Wow, I had a completely different story than yours. I have a late 2008 MPB as well and experienced the same thing with the swelling battery.

However since my closest Apple store is about an hour away I called into Apple and was told that the swelling in the battery is actually a safety feature to prevent the battery from overheating and catching on fire as it ages. I thought that sounded odd, but whatever. Also I was told that since this is a normal wear item I would be charged for a replacement battery. :(

It looks like i should have taken the time out of my day and saved myself a little bit of cash.

6. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I think I've had a streak of really good luck honestly. I've never owned Apple Care on anything I've ever owned, and they've always taken care of me (even after the one year mark) with basically anything I needed within reason.

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

that's great, batteries are dangerous, although they may be meant to swell, something else can be occurring. I'm glad they did it not just for convenience but also safety.