Positive result after iphone took a bath

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ilovebananas, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ilovebananas macrumors member

I managed to drop my iphone in the bath. Luckily I had yet to add bubble bath so it was plain water. The phone was in an iskins case. It stayed submerged for about 10 seconds.
    It still works fine. because I stayed calm and didn't panic. So hoping to help people I'll tell you what I did (well known trick)

Firstly do not turn it on if you can help it. (Mine kept on booting and shutting of by itself).
    Get about 300-400 grammes of uncooked rice, a plastic freezer bag, a damp cloth.
    Put rice/iphone in bag and seal it all up to make it air tight.
    Put folded cloth on hot radiator (this avoids direct contact between bag/heat)
    Leave for at least 6 hours. Moisture will evaporate and be absorbed by rice, also rice will help draw out any moisture.
    Remove from bag.
    Hopefully works.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats, glad to hear that you managed to bring it back to life.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

10 seconds??? What took so long? Seems like an eternity to let it sit in the water unless you didn't realize you'd dropped it.

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

5. thelordnyax macrumors regular

a friend of mine had a similar experience
    she dropped her iPhone 3G in a river, didn't realize it, about 15 seconds later
    another friend ouf ours pulled it out...
    let it sit out, it works fine

6. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Sadly however, you might have just voided your warranty cause the water sensors probably went off. Hopefully everything works fine considering if it didn't, you'd have to take into Apple and they'd probably charge you to fix it.

7. ViPa macrumors 6502a

water damage can cause a slow death...it may work fine now, but the parts have still been affected

8. ilovebananas thread starter macrumors member

Realise warranty is gone. Both water sensor pads have turned pink so no apple help.
    Not an issue am insured on the phone against damage. It was typical that this happened easter saturday when insurance company shut till tuesday. They have logged that phone was submerged but now seems fine. If it does suddenly fail/die then a simple phone call and £30 will provide me with a new one.
    Just thought I would let people know that iphone is pretty tough and that a simple "trick" can help in the short term if they keep calm.

9. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

That is because when the water evaporates it leaves behind chemicals/minerals/whatever else that begins to corrode metal components. So, it may or may not be a slow death depending on what is in the OP's tap water.

10. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

All right.
    Glad you have insurance.
    Not sure what's in UK water, that could be worth checking out.

11. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Well, we know it's not fluoride. ;)

Anyhow, thanks OP for the rice tip. I have had a couple of close calls with water and just know that I am going to be heading to the store for a bag of rice.