Possibe to swap my iPhone for another?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmadandproud, Apr 21, 2009.

1. macmadandproud macrumors member

I have a white iPhone, perfect, never dropped and just regular wear on it. I was thinking recently that I fancy a change, as I can't afford a new one this summer. I was thinking of seeing whether anyone would like to trade with me for a black one... but then I thought, what would that do to my contract?

Would putting my sim in the black one restart my 2 years?

thanks for the help!

R

2. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado

That should not affect your contract whatsoever.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

No, it does nothing to your contract. I'll trade you my 8GB Black and $50 for your white one...

5. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I have a question. My husband qualifies for an upgrade (hopefully there will be a new iphone out in June...) I do not, as I have the iPhone 3G.

Can we get him the new iphone, and then switch it to me? (I'll give him my 3G, and I get the new one....) (He cares nothing about phones...)

Will AT&T allow this (we are on a family plan...)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Yes, but in general he will have to have a data plan.

8. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Yes, but ask them first if doing that will start the 24-month clock over on your line as well as, of course, starting it on his. As it was explained to me, whenever they put an iPhone on a line, it starts the clock over. Not saying they will do this to you, and they shouldn't, since you already have an iPhone, but better to ask the question then get caught out.

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I wouldn't expect them to do that, but I guess if people are saying they let you do that, then go for it... but it doesn't seem to me that they would do that, just because of the color..

10. charleshubular macrumors newbie

I have a black 3g 16gb that i would like to trade for a white one. Are you still interested?

11. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

No. How could it restart a contract by taking a sim and putting it in another phone?! Sorry, but ridiculous question. The iPhone is a special phone, but it is still just a phone. Any o2 sim card (in the UK) can be put in an iPhone and it will work. They won't be put on an 18 month contract because of it! Any iPhone contract sim can be put into another phone and their contract won't change!

Sorry for the rant. But I have seen a few threads like this that think the iPhone can do magical things. It is an amazing phone, best phone ever IMO, but it is still JUST A PHONE.

12. philamac macrumors regular

Black is overrated. Trade me your white one for my Aluminum one! Say it the british way and it sounds even better, Aluminium! Aluminium!

[edit: I need sleep]

13. macmadandproud thread starter macrumors member

I can see how you would think that, but when the original iphone came out, this was an issue. AT&T had the system on their end set up so that an iPhone "activation" in effect involved signing (well, accepting) a new 2 year agreement. This meant that if one returned for whatever reason his/her phone activating the replacement did indeed start a new contract.

Apple's response to this, was to have people call AT&T and their customer service would reset it. This was a big hassle however, and I think that they refined the system with the release of the 3g.

Anyway, that is why I was asking... but thanks for the response! :)

Also: Charleshubular- I am open to that, as long as your phone is in as good condition as mine, and we can figure out a way to make it work...I'm in Boston... you?

PM me and we can talk about it...

R

14. charleshubular macrumors newbie

unfortunately i do not know how to pm on this forum. email me @coreymike32@yahoo.com. Phone is around an 8 condition on a 10 scale, probably a bit higher.

15. charleshubular macrumors newbie

macmad

i have been trying FOREVER to find a way to PM you! Help me out lol.