Possibile Competition?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eckthroi, Jun 7, 2012.

1. eckthroi macrumors regular

I want to state from the beginning that I am new to apple (1 year) However I am never planning to go back. I wanted to share the humor in the recent release of the ENVY Spectre XT Ultrabook 13t-2000 series - It is the closest in specs and price to the Air that I have seen so far. However the humor comes from the fact that they are just now releasing this as the Air is about to be updated to an even better product. Suck it Bill !!!

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-

office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/A9D34AV?HP-ENVY-Spectre-XT-Ultrabook-13t-2000&jumpid=em_r329_IB_6165NG&aoid=123295&email=null&rid=D490929D4A29DA38CB228AB9D79CC232

2. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

There is a lot of competition for the MacBook Air, they are called Ultrabooks. They have the exact same specifications, and will all be getting the exact same specification upgrades and the new MacBook Air. Almost all of the new Ultrabooks are going to have 1080P screens, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD standard. They also generally cost a lot less.

I made the mistake of purchasing a MacBook Air, and I won't do it again because this is a category Apple won't dominate, there's too much competition.

With that note, my next computer will be something along the lines of the Acer w700 Windows 8 tablet. Same specs as the new MacBook Air (Core i5, HD 4000) most likely, just in a much better portable form factor.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

There's no competition if you prefer OSX over Windows.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Suck it Bill?

If you're referring to Bill Gates, he retired quite a while back and has nothing whatsoever to do with Hewlett Packard.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Sheesh why don't people get this? I don't CARE what Acer or Asus has. I run OS X.

If someone wants to run Window then they have lots of choices but I envy none of them.

6. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

It's pretty easy to install OSX on a laptop with the exact same specifications as the MacBook Air.

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Good luck finding one!

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Famous last words, Blackberry user.

9. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

All Ultrabooks have the exact same chipsets and specifications as the MacBook Air, except for the ones that far exceed the MacBook Air with a dedicated GPU.

What does BlackBerry have ANYTHING to do with the discussion of a MacBook Air. Apple does not compete with Blackberry, and Blackberry doesn't compete with Apple. They go after two entirely different niches, and BlackBerry will fail horribly as soon as they try to compete with Apple, ala BlackBerry 10. I also own an iPhone 4s, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, and Lumia 900. I own an iPad, PlayBook, Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I am experienced in every single kind of ecosystem, so what I carry on a day-to-day basis has no effect on my opinion, it's what gets the job done the best for me.

What is the next thing you are going to comment on to make yourself feel better?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Won't dominate? They already have.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Probably how you took a small, playful jab and wrote a long response to it only to end with a nice little insult.

Excuse me for poking fun at the apparent incongruity of a loyal user of a product (and company) that is dying a slow, painful death making prognostications on what tech products will succeed in the future.

12. jgc macrumors regular

Lol nice.

From what I understand, it's not actually that easy to run OS X on current gen Ultrabooks. I've heard there's a lot of issues with instability and whatnot. I'd happily dish an extra $200 (randomly chosen number) for an Air over another Ultrabook to get a guaranteed stable OS and a sleeker looking laptop.

13. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

No, they haven't, at all.

I am not a "loyal user of a product (and company) that is dying a slow, painful death making prognostications on what tech products will succeed in the future." I use the BlackBerry as my business phone, and the other phones for other reasons, it all depends on what I do. The next phone I purchase will probably be an iPhone. However, I can see the strengths and weaknesses of every company, not just blindly think one company or product is completely superior.

I bet I know which phone you use, and computer, and tablet, and water (if Apple made water). Their water is filled with zero oranges, but the packaging is sweet, and the container is aerodynamic. It's truly a revolutionary product.

14. atMac macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about getting an i7 Air, but with the new ZenBook, and that HP coming out I'll have to wait for new Air specs.

It's going to be a really hard decision on which I will be buying.

15. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

In which universe? The Ultrabooks have been struggling to get a foothold against the Air ever since Ultrabooks appeared.

16. iMacC2D, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  17. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    And as far as quality,

None can match Apples specs, just another reason they cost more, machined from a single piece of aluminum, you get what you pay for, that said
    You want a plastic Ultra Book, it's a free country, you just aren't :apple: material anyway:eek:,as for me I'm buying the fruit:apple:

18. asattwanger macrumors newbie

Possibile Competition? To the Air or MBPro?

Minus Windows. Sony is bust'n balls

Sony Vaio Z-series

2.58 lbs. (with internal battery, 4000mAh)1
    13.0" (W) x 0.66" (H) x 8.27" (D)1

Processor

3rd gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (2.50GHz / 3.10GHz3 with Turbo Boost10)
    3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM quad-core (2.10GHz / 3.10GHz3 with Turbo Boost10)

Memory

8GB (4GB x2 fixed onboard) DDR3-1600MHz

Hard Drive

128GB (64GB x2) solid state drive with RAID 05
    256GB (128GB x2) solid state drive with RAID 05
    512GB (256GB x2) solid state drive with RAID 05

I'm still waiting to see if the MBPro goes in the right direction or I buy a Air only because of windows. If not the Sony would be here right now.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This tells me you are simply arguing to argue. Please name ONE ultrabook that has done better than the Macbook Air...oh wait...you can't.

20. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

Amazing that some people think you can get the same quality machine for the same price. That was the point of this thread was I saw the first close attempt - though the build I'm sure is lower quality and of course the OS is crap (IMO)

21. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

89% of the thin-and-light laptops market share isn't dominating, when there are like 10+ competitors making ultrabooks?

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It was a joke. Would you like me be clearer?

You must be fantastic at reading signatures!

23. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

How childish of you....Mr Gates is doing great work in the fight for third world nations and there people...he has my greatest respect!

As for the new ultra books...there are some very nice offerings...and the ones coming with windows 8 show some real interesting features (part tablet,part laptop).

I find a world with mac's,pc's (win,linux ect) makes for great fun!

24. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

*yawn*

25. nightmars macrumors member

nightmars

Fixed that for you :)