Possibilites MS will make Office for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchyphone, Apr 2, 2008.

1. touchyphone macrumors regular

Hey all, just some thoughts, you think MS will possibly make an APP with the SDK for Word, Excel or anything like that? Has anyone heard anything. I would sure love to be able to edit some documents on the go....

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There may be readers, but I think even that is unlikely.

Office is an incredibly small possibility IMO.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Yeah, I'm not seeing this being available anytime soon.

4. telf22 macrumors regular

i think there will certainly be a word app but i cant really see excel/powerpoint.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can't see a need for a fully funcational MS Office app, but the ability to read all Office docs is a necessity. What's more important is the ability to SAVE stuff on the iPhone. That gets uber annoying all the time.

6. sdd4 macrumors member

i was actually thinking about this today. im interested in word (of course) and powerpoint.
    im not asking for full functionality with powerpoint, because that would just be silly to try to make a presentation on a phone, but at least a viewer. and like the previous poster mentioned, the ability to save files to the phone without having to jailbreak and ssh and stuff would be great. saving email attachments needs to be added soooooooon.

7. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I remember reading on a mac blog about microsoft looking into the SDK so it is a possibility. I would post a link but it was either on macnn/macobserver or here.

ChrisN

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

The most i can see them doing is producing an Office reader perhaps for Word/Excel.. maybe an editor for Word/Excel although very basic. All other functions of Office would be too large such as Entourage/Outlook, PowerPoint, FrontPage.....

9. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Um, carry a laptop. Could you image trying to type up a 10 page term paper on an iPhone? Come on.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Just buy a WM7 device if that is your priority

11. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Microsoft Office as you are used to now...NO

A mobile version...Yes

I expect to see an iPhone version released by http://www.dataviz.com/ and you will more then likely see it when the App Store is opened.

Data Viz is loosing alot of Treo customers to the iPhone and will more then likely carry this product over and very easily. The only hiccup I can see is the document storage part.

Just my opinion.

12. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Apple may as well just make their own iWork OnTheGo.

13. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

It depends if MS can make money out of it or not.

14. themightyspitz macrumors regular

themightyspitz

That is what I really want. Basic word writing, basic spreadsheet with simple calculations, basic slide editor.

And for God's sake, please make it connect with an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard.

15. touchyphone thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I am a grown man, I don't type "papers" anymore but thanks for the suggestion. Word would be handy to edit production notes I get for several shows I work for. But thanks for your concern, you're obviously very helpful...:rolleyes:

16. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

As for DataViz, I used to use PalmOS and I used to use DocumentsToGo, and I HATED it. I absolutely loathed it. It never synched right and stuff I worked on at school would somehow get deleted in the synching process or progress I made on the version on my computer would get overridden by the more primitive version on my PDA. It sucked. Like I said, an Apple-made iWork OnTheGo (for lack of a better name, since "mobile" is overused) would have a better synching method (probably would require a dedicated folder in the documents file for iTunes to access).

17. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

For me... the functionality would purely lie in being able to view the documents. For instance, if a presentation had some key notes present. I could have a copy of that presentation to view the slides. Just think about being able to flip through slides sliding your fingers left to right.

A PDF viewer would also make things so much easier. Just slide your finger around like its used on the internet browser. Perhaps add the Zoom +/- functions.

Finally Word documents.... I can't tell you how many times I've run into an instance where certain criteria had to be met. Unfortunately the rubric/guidelines are only present on the MS word document that was sent to me via e-mail. Which is on my computer.... that I left at home today....

The sole purpose of this phone IMO, is to elevate the need for a fully mobile working station (ie. Laptop) Instead just bring my phone, and have everything I need for the day. Upon return, All of my calendar, mail, contacts, and To-Do lists have already been syncing. So I can just jump in and get busy!

I feel that these tools would be critical in any environment. I think making changes to these documents would be time consuming and irritating. So the idea of just being able to view all of these documents would be fantastic.

(Another idea....) Leave your computer on @ home, and be able to remotely access and view that specific document you left? Ehh Ehh Remote login??

Lets pull this one together Apple...
    Anybody else have any thoughts?

18. pavvento macrumors 6502

Between ActiveSync and a possible mobile office Microsoft could make a good amount of money off of the iPhone.

That is why Microsoft makes so much money, even if you chose something other than their products, they can still get money from you (i.e. office for mac).

I think they would jump at the opportunity to make money off of an Apple product.

19. iLuvApple4ever macrumors newbie

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

none and who cares

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Exactly. Dataviz is a great company, and from reviews I've read of their products for both Palm and WM, they're better than pocket word and pocket excel in many ways.

I think the palm developers are putting their toe into branching out. Doubtful that they'll go 100% iPhone, since if they were 100% Palm they've been burned, but it does mean some serious developer heavyweights are expanding into other OSes, and that's a very good thing.