Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Hey,

Like A LOT of you, I'm waiting for apple to update their MBP before i buy. Without a doubt they're gonna add things like magnetic latch and easy access hd etc... i doubt they'd let the macbook be superior in design any longer.

I was wondering if there was any possibility apple would offer a black version of the mbp in the next model? something like a black aluminum anodized casing like with the new nanos... THIS is something i'd be waiting for more than anything else. And i'd be willing to pay extra for it too.

Do you guys think this is possible?

P.S., i know the mbp is offered by 3rd parties in black.. but i was wondering if apple themselves would come to offer it.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
joejoejoe said:
Hey,

Like A LOT of you, I'm waiting for apple to update their MBP before i buy. Without a doubt they're gonna add things like magnetic latch and easy access hd etc... i doubt they'd let the macbook be superior in design any longer.

I was wondering if there was any possibility apple would offer a black version of the mbp in the next model? something like a black aluminum anodized casing like with the new nanos... THIS is something i'd be waiting for more than anything else. And i'd be willing to pay extra for it too.

P.S., i know the mbp is offered by 3rd parties in black.. but i was wondering if apple themselves would come to offer it.

That would certainly be nice, and I would be interested, but if they jack the price up like the did with the black macbooks just because it was black (sorry, 20gb extra on the HD doesn't warrant $200) then I won't even think about buying something like that if it were offered.

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
truthfully.....everyone wants it.....apple would never release it. The problem with releasing a black MBP is that it would bleed into the Macbook line. The Pro line of laptops has to be distinctive from the lower models. The color was one of the thigns they did. The powerbook was always silver since the titanium version, its built up that kind of wow look. I dont know many other laptops that look as beautiful as as my PowerBook G4. I think the silver is here to stay and i have no objection to it.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Maybe, maybe not. After all, the new iTunes 7.0 layout has Charcoal-ish scroll bars. I think the Pro hardware should stay in that nice aluminum casing, but we'll see.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Apple doesn't usually offer different colors in its pro line. If you look at the products that have been offered in different colors, its usually consumer products: iMac, iBook, iPod.

It would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
I just wish they'd figure out some way of protecting the alu. from salt. I wash my hands quite well and frequently, but I have extremely corrosive oil on my skin. I can't even wear watches, I corrode them off my wrists. My PB was a bit better - but it still pitted to hell and back, and short of cleaning it every 10 minutes, there's no way I could have prevented it.

I'm not the only one, most older PBs I've seen have pitted palm wrests just like mine. I was hoping for some kind of new coating on them that would prevent them from getting nasty. I'm waiting on the rev. b mbps, but the macbook (black - I'll yellow the white plastic..) is really tempting. I just want the better video card from the mbp. :/

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
That would be cool.
I'd get one.

ormandj said:
I just wish they'd figure out some way of protecting the alu. from salt. I wash my hands quite well and frequently, but I have extremely corrosive oil on my skin. I can't even wear watches, I corrode them off my wrists. My PB was a bit better - but it still pitted to hell and back, and short of cleaning it every 10 minutes, there's no way I could have prevented it.

I'm not the only one, most older PBs I've seen have pitted palm wrests just like mine. I was hoping for some kind of new coating on them that would prevent them from getting nasty. I'm waiting on the rev. b mbps, but the macbook (black - I'll yellow the white plastic..) is really tempting. I just want the better video card from the mbp. :/
Maybe you should where those stretchy white doctor gloves.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
rtdgoldfish said:
Apple doesn't usually offer different colors in its pro line. If you look at the products that have been offered in different colors, its usually consumer products: iMac, iBook, iPod.

It would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

But that's the thing... don't you think the Macbook Pro has become a consumer product? I mean, i feel like Apple acknowledged that when they replaced the 12'' powerbook g4 with the 13'' macbook. its one big family of laptops.. just different screen sizes and the difference between a video card.

What I'm trying to say is that it would make sense to keep the pro line exclusive in its colors and non-commercialized if it was an ALTERNATIVE. right now, if you want a laptop from apple that has a screen bigger than 13'' you have NO CHOICE but to get a pro, and if you want one less than 15'' you have NO CHOICE but to get a macbook. hence, one big family of consumer notebooks

(i guess i'm just trying to convince myself that it will happen)

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
The Pro line looks and feels metallic for very that very reason. I guess metal can be black, but it won't look that way, so it somewhat defeats its purpose. So no, I don't think it will happen.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
ormandj said:

Yeah, if MBP gets black... I would be so happy. No more [visible] pitting for me!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
joejoejoe said:
Hey,

No. Colors such as black and white are something that apple is trying to sell to regular consumers, and the aluminum color is the "pro" color.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Zwhaler said:
No. Colors such as black and white are something that apple is trying to sell to regular consumers, and the aluminum color is the "pro" color.
Yepp, I agree - just take a peak at the lines as a whole.

"Pro" lines: Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Displays
"Consumer" lines: Mini, iMac, Macbook

what pattern do we see..? "Pro" = aluminum, "Consumer" = white plastic (with the exception of the blackbook, which I think serves as the only "middle man" between the two lines).

Although I think there are MANY users that would love to see a black MBP, I don't think Apple will veer off their set design. They didn't plan these things by accident, afterall.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Upped screen res, easier accessible HD and magnetic lashes is much more important IMO. As the MBP is now I would hardly call it a Pro product, more like a luxury consumer streamed laptop.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I hope not, and would have said the same about macbooks, but that black macbook is nice, so maybe a black MBP would be something.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
What I hope to see is they just get rid of aluminium, or toughen up that thing a bit. That material is a hazard waiting to happen.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
MACDRIVE said:
I would like to see a light blue anodised MBP. That's right ... I'm a weirdo. :eek:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Might as well go for pink if you want to score on the weird scale, or even better... lime green :rolleyes:

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
generik said:

Tell me a blue anodised aluminum MBP wouldn't look cool. ;)

dorcal520.jpg

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
That looks cheap...

I think a darker grey would be pretty cool looking though, like anodised cookware. It will significantly increase the durability of these things (no more damned dents and scratches) and look good. Can't ask for more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.