Possibility of a HD Microphone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, May 8, 2011.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

It was quite interesting to see Apple push out a 'HD iSight Camera' (Now called 'FaceTime HD Camera') along with the introduction of FaceTime.

Does anyone think that Apple will include a HD microphone next with the next line of MBPs? (Possible redesign in 2012) This could stop audio quality problems when FaceTime becomes a popular form of communication.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure what an HD mic is, but to add a higher quality mic, I'm going to say probably not.

3. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

I used to use Audacity to record some collaborative sessions (With permission) and the audio quality was quite bad. Sooner or later they'll have to do something about it - I'm sure the microphones on the iPhone and the iPod Touches (Definitely iPhone though, because calling is supposed to be its primary function.) yield much better audio quality, and when FaceTime becomes popular, people might complain about it.

Don't know though.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

A built in mic will always be mediocre, but the one on the MBP is much better than most mics on other machines.

When I use skype I can actually hear people with macbook pros quite well compared to others with Dells, HPs, Asus or other brands. There are of course some PCs with decent mics too, but most of them are unbearable to hear in longer skype sessions.

If you want really good sound get a audio interface and a high quality mic.

I bought a hi quality controller (Native Audio AK1) and a good mic (SE electronics X1) for home recording of guitar and vocals. I often have long meetings on skype and found out I could use that mic for that use too.

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

6. TenderBranson macrumors member

yeah, anyone who needs to do any serious amount of work with audio won't be using a built-in mic, so I don't foresee this happening. most people wouldn't notice or care

7. baypharm, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I agree with the previous poster. Anyone who needs the specific capabilities of a high definition microphone will use an external one not a built in mic.

As far as a HD webcam in the MBP, remember you are limited in bandwidth by the service provider - for example Skype. No matter how good your camera is, the picture is blurry, grainy, etc. There are other platforms to use HD video for conferencing but they are not free like Skype. But even Apple's HD web cam is not technically HD. The camera resolution is only 1280 x 720. Hardly what I would call high definition. Don't get me wrong it is a huge improvement over the last generation web cam. And I appreciate Apple updating their built-in web cams but I would have thought they would have had 1080P cameras. They are so inexpensive now. Just as flat panel TV's with 720P are dirt cheap now but with inferior picture quality compared to a 1080 picture.

8. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

The audio on MBP's is quite good compared to equivalent PC offerings.
    It is hard to quantify what you mean by audio problems, but in a lot of cases these can be remedied by closing excel, entourage/outlook/mail and that browser with 50 tabs open. When the CPU has to service multiple programs it will manifest as audio dropouts, which can sound like pops, clicks ro worse case scenario, screeching.

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It is hard to find a reasonably quality condenser microphone for less than $200, and even the small diaphragm versions are much larger than anything that will fit in a portable display. Being that it is still a margins game when it comes to selling items like laptops and displays, I doubt there will be anything significant as far as improving the actual microphone in the MacBook Pros.

Now, I bet they will improve the marketing at some point. :)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The "cat's eardrum" microphone.

11. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

720p is HD

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The camera was updated, and IMO the mic already was updated. Both are sufficient for higher quality videoconferencing. If you are recording recording, you need a mixer anyway and all that accompanies it. The current system is more than enough for you to record when you sing 'Sexual Healing' in the shower.