Possibility of a "save as draft" option?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by vniow, May 18, 2007.

1. vniow macrumors G4

I was just thinking about this a second ago, is there a vBulletin plugin that allows you to save a thread or a post you're about to post for a later time like you can with emails? I know there are other ways to do this but it would be awfully convenient to go to say User CP and find a thread or a post you saved before because you couldn't finish it at the time for whatever reason.

Thoughts?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Why? I don't think it's a must-have feature, IMO. If I have to leave before finishing a post, I usually just copy and paste on to a TextEdit document and open that document later.

But I must admit, it could be useful, although someone is going to have to explain to me how it would work.

3. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Have you ever saved an email as a draft before? Its pretty much the same idea. Say you click on post new thread but all of a sudden you have to go. You click the "save as draft" button or whatever and vBulletin saves it in your User CP or some other location. That way you can access it from anywhere you're logged in.

Pasting it into a text document is a solution but its far easier to have it built in. plus it adds the advantage of accessing it from anywhere you're logged in.

Found a couple add-ons that are more like what I'm talking about:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142153

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77659

4. Lau Guest

I think this would be useful if, like a lot of us, you can't necessarily sit down on MR without interruptions, and I also quite often revise what I was going to say before I say it. I could have done with it today when I was trying to write a lengthy post at work and had to disguise it by opening Notepad. :p :eek:

Although it's possible to use workarounds like text editors, it would be nice to have it integrated into MR though, if it's a straightforward thing to implement.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I see one problem with this: Most likely by the time you come back to that post, the info you were going to state has already been said, or it no longer makes sense.

6. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Then you um, don't post it then.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most conversations are spur of the moment so I don't see how this would be useful to save a post for a few hours.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If I'm in a rush for some reason, I find myself dragging my reply text off onto the desktop and creating a text clipping, then just dragging it back when I have time. I figure if I can't remember which thread I was going to post it in, then I'm probably not smart enough to say anything that was going to be of any use anyways. :eek:

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I can see a use for this. Many times I get through two paragraphs, get overwhelmed by how much more I have to say, and give up. The said feature would increase my post count dramatically. (Though I leave to you all to debate whether or not that would necessarily be desirable :eek: )

irmongoose

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

but some people would not go back and reread the thread, to see if it still makes sense.

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Spontenei...spontanei...sponteneou...not thinking about it too much before replying makes a more interesting and honest reply, methinks.