Possibility of HD display on a 15" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awj, Nov 1, 2012.

1. awj macrumors newbie

I'm pretty close to buying a 15" MBP but I was have one slight concern.

Although a mild-mannered gentleman by evening, I'm a .NET developer by day and therefore also regularly use Windows. My current almost-5-year-old laptop Windows laptop has a full HD display and I'm not yet convinced that I really want to drop down in resolution. I'm quite prepared to wait 6 months or so to get the perfect laptop if I thought that the next 15" MBP refresh would have an HD display.

I realise that no-one here has the answer to whether the refresh will include a resolution upgrade, but what's the consensus opinion? Apple have kept the resolution sub0HD for several iterations despite many laptops from other manufacturers now offering it, and even the Retina display is actually double-scaling a 1440x900 screen.

So do Apple generally consider that full HD is not as usable on laptops as 1680x1050 or do people feel that an HD display on the MBP overdue?

2. simsaladimbamba

The MacBook Pro with Retina Display has a display with more than 1920 x 1080 pixel and can be used like a 1920 x 1200 display.

3. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I suggest you go into an Apple store and check out the scaling options. I am pretty picky about displays and has been very happy with the scaled resolutions on the retina MBP. But if you must you can get 2880x1800 native resolution on the rMBP which surely beats whatever you have now.

4. awj thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not keen on buying a Retina for the following reasons:
    1. If you read this thread you'll see that Win8 isn't running perfectly on it. Apparently some applications work great, others less so. I don't want to pay that much for a laptop to have frustrations with it, to be switching resolutions when I switch applications, and I reckon I'll probably be spending 50% of the time running in Windows.
    2. Price. I'd be looking at buying a cheaper MBP and then increaing the RAM myself and inserting an SSD. That makes it a lot cheaper.
    3. Serviceability.

Also, I don't want this to be a debate over whether I should buy an MBP or an rMBP. As far as I'm concerned the thread that I linked to above speaks for itself.

5. eidsvold macrumors newbie

eidsvold

The classic Macbook Pro will never get a full HD resolution, it's that simple.

1. The UI will simply be to small to use in a practical way (I've tried this on the Retina)

2. The classic MacBook Pro is dying. It will get a spec bump or two, but then it will be replaced by the RMBP, as SSD and high-resolution screen prices sink.

If you don't want the RMBP I suggest you get a 17" MacBook Pro, which has the full HD display.

6. awj thread starter macrumors newbie

Mange tak, eidsvold - that's the kind of response I was looking for.

Unless I'm mistaken, the 17" is now unavailable as new. Besides, I think I'd rather drop down in resolution than carry around a 17" laptop.

Anyway, that's helped make my mind up. Tusinde tak.

7. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

True for full HD, however, HD starts at 720P, and the cMBP is very capable. I watch 1080P rips on my new cMBP and the picture is awesome, in fact it is just as good as my Sony VIAO 1080P display.

Dont know what all the hype is about a hi rez display on computers. For all of the work I do, it is not required. Microsoft Office, email, and web browsing is awesome. The new cMBP is an awesome , user upgradable computer! I like the fact that I can upgrade ram and HD, rather than have a few extra pixels to watch movies or edit photos

Dont get me wrong, the retina screen is nice IF YOU NEED IT FOR YOUR WORK, however, day to day, for me anyways, not needed.

DOnt pay for something you dont need, but just want.

I hope they dont delete the cMBP line, because I will not be locked into a computer, that Apple thinks I need with no user upgradability.

Really, on the baseline rMBP, 8G ram and a 256G SSD for $2200.