Possibility of HDMI on new iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ry., Jul 1, 2012.

1. Ry. macrumors member

Hello There,

I'm looking at buying my first mac, and plan on buying a new imac when its released.

Since the new Retina Macbook Pro comes with HDMI, could we assume the new imac will aswell?

I want to use this imac as a display for my xbox, as I currently have a 5 year old 26" HDTV, which I was thinking about replacing, but I figured, if I bought an imac instead of a macbook pro, I could kill two birds with one stone. I was going to buy a new macbook pro for starting my honours degree in 3D modelling but I think the imac may be the way to go.

I know there are devices which let you use the current imac as a console display but its very pricey, plus it only lets you output 720p.

So, again, what are peoples thoughts on the possibility of the new imac including HDMI?

Cheers :)

2. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

There are options available for the current 27" iMacs for using it as a display designed for gaming consoles and blu-ray players, it's called the Kanex HD. It is quite expensive and only offers 720p input, which is a shame as everything appears very pixelated.

As for the 2012 refresh which I will be updating to, I'm hoping that they include a HDMI input, as this would solve all problems and offer 1080p input:)

3. Ry. thread starter macrumors member

As I said in my original post :p

My only thinking against HDMI on the new imac is that If they bring out a new TV by the end of the year it would give people a reason against upgrading to that If they can already use their imac as their entertainment hub.

4. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Well I was in the exact same boat as you are now, until I gave in and purchased a 22.5" LED monitor for my xbox. If the next gen iMac has a HDMI input then I'm an dumping the previous monitor! Apple are probably sealing up the boxes of these iMacs as we speak:D

Sorry I can't help but Apple really do limit their products.

5. Ry. thread starter macrumors member

Im hoping theres a 21.5 inch version with ivy bridge, usb 3.0, hdmi (and wishful thinking, a tv tuner) then id be set!

6. Paradoxpm macrumors member

Nope, the Kanex HD is not compatible with the current Thunderbolt iMac.

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I don't believe the HDMI port is an input on the rMBP, so even if the iMac had HDMI, I'd guess it won't really do much good for this purpose anyway.

8. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

If there is an HDMI port in the new iMac (and I hope that is the case) then what stops anyone putting in a cable and/or sat feed and using it as a TV? Is there any technical reason why you may not be able to change the source from CPU to HDMI on what displays on the screen?

9. Paradoxpm macrumors member

I could find it useful, especially considering that only Thunderbolt sources can connect to the current generation iMac.

10. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

In 2008 when I got my 24" I managed to convince the sales person to throw in an Elgato digital Tuner Stick valued at I think it was $200 for free! (I wouldn't recommend their stock aerial) but a good peice of hardware, straight into a USB port and your good to go.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The HDMI port on the MBPr is an output, not an input.

There are no devices that let you connect a console to a 2011 iMac, unless you're talking about a video capture box.

To answer your question. HDMI on the iMac? As an output to a second monitor or TV? You might see it since it's been added to the MBPr.

As an input? About 2.5%.

----------

That's exactly what you can do with a 2010 iMac using Target Display Mode. On the 2011 models it only works with other Thunderbolt equipped devices.

12. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

But not if the HDMI port is only an output. Then it doesn't help your case for only thunderbolt sources on current iMacs.

13. HurryKayne, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

We have to see what Apple will do with the upcoming Thunderbolt laptop,pc and motherboards,if it will cripple more to avoid a Pc user to enable its machine to make it display games on its Thunderbolt Cinema Display or not.
    As far as i know you can only output to hdmi,for example,correct me if am wrong,you can use your 6970m to drive a 24" 1080 Hdmi external display and have a great frame rates on it.
    But no input at all,even the thunderbolt scene is not moving..maybe because of Intel.
    Magma,Sonnetech,Msi,a lot of external Tb Boxes,but not yet on the market,Vidock and many others are not allowed to have a Thunderbolt development kit,so i hope Apple changes fast this kind of situation or Thunderbolt risks to be a very promising tech but next to die.
    Also ,i don't think we will see in the next generation consoles,a thunderbolt output,would be fantastic but ,for example,in that 2010 leaked Xbox 720 doc i saw a mini display port output not thunderbolt one,maybe due the doc was from 2010.
    We will see.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Not really, they make excellent product for various market segments.

X-Box's, Play Stations, WII's and the like were designed to be plugged into TV sets. Wanting to input them into a computer is outside of that design window.

Apple iMacs are 'all-in-one' computers and in that regard they are excellent.

There were some models where they were capable of taking an external video signal as an input but I guess that did not work out too well as the feature was dropped.

I think though, we can look forward to things being done around the Thunderbolt port, but wether it will be able to take a video input remains to be seen at this point. Perhaps TB-->HDMI adapters?

Who knows?

----------

That's my take .... HDMI is an output to display port only.

15. Ry. thread starter macrumors member

Why would apple make it output only?

It seems that apple restrict their customers massively. I feel like im only allowed to use my apple products, that, lets be honest, usually cost around 50% more than their non-apple equilevent, the way apple tell us to. If I want to use the iMac as an input I should be able to. 99% of moniters can be used as an input. Also, im a student living in a flat, I simply dont have the space for both an imac and s tv in my room.

Its one of the most simplest and most useful things apple could add but you know that they just wont do it.

Its greed it my oppinion.

16. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

I suppose its to protect its sales...,
    if not you could eventually buy a Cinema Display,maybe even better if
    refurbished,and to link it with a "normal pc",to have the Apple look on your desk and windows horsepower under.
    Even Mac Pro cannot link to a thunderbolt input yet,but at the last computex i saw some laptops and motherboards with the thunderbolt port within it,so maybe,there's some light coming,i hope to see the Tb port on Xbox720 too.

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't understand why you think it's because of greed. If they were charging you £300 extra for the input, then I would agree with you. But they don't. They simply don't offer that input option at all. I assume there are technical(TB input only) , licensing (HDCP etc) and support reasons behind this decision.

----------

Protect sales of what? Apple don't have an alternative if you want a product that you can plug in a third party device such as a console into. ATD? No. ACD? No, unless you buy an expensive solution like a Kanex.

If they were making their own consoles and you could only plug in the Apple console into an iMac, then I could understand your reasoning. So, what product are they protecting the sales of?

18. Ry. thread starter macrumors member

They may not charge £300 for it, but the computer itsself costs easily £300+ more than its equilevnt. Plus, these other products are comibg with inbuilt tuners also. Why why Apple not include something like this? Would it not match the sleek look of the ports already there so to hell with it.

These are standard features on computers costing half the price. For a £1500 machine, these things should be included. I shouldnt have to buy an external box to convert it into an input and i shouldnt have to have some daft little box to take up one of the usb ports as a tuner.

Apple shoul be giving us more for the money we pay.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

an HDMI port would almost certainly be output only.

For input Apple wants you to use thunderbolt; this is the only video input on current iMacs.

----------

Not a TV tuner...TV is not the same worldwide. there's NTSC and PAL for starters and they use different frequencies.

20. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

I think you misunderstood or maybe i was not clear.
    Do you know the chance to build your hackintosh ,Do you?
    If i could link that one with the Cinema Display..well,you can made the math.
    Then its not the Apple product to be connected but the third party device,such as an Xbox360,but,nothing,even Kanex,cannot be used to make it,so you're with no chance to use YOUR PAID devices together..and i found it this disappointing.
    Its my opinion ,but this is it, even if "Hackintosh people" are not a sales threat both for you and Apple and i'm eventually totally wrong.

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I see your point now, but I haven't see an all-in-one computer with a 27" 2560x1440 display with all of those things you mention that costs half the price, never mind the flexibility that Thunderbolt provides for professional audio, video and storage.

----------

Yes, I do.

I've done the maths on this forum on countless occasions and included the cost of an IPS display. With a cheaper display such as the Dell U2711 I can get a cheaper computer than the iMac 27" by a couple of hundred pounds. However, that does not count the amount of money I've lost by building this computer.

Here is the last time I did this (this was directed at a different user so bear that in mind when reading it):

Que?

This is what I did in my study to have an Xbox, a TV tuner and a computer all in one place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

When i was speaking of Kanex i was speaking about this,
    http://www.kanexlive.com/xd
    i meant to use the 27 inch of your Imac as an Xbox display,
    not to take the signal outside to a Tv or a Hdmi display.
    And yes i knew you knew..that was rethoric,but for me the chance to have choice is a very important value,thats why,for example,i love jailbraking!.

23. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Unfortunately the kanex only works within the iMacs with mini display port (pre 2011).

24. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Yes,thats was what i was tryin to say...we just need to see what will work or not with the Thunderbolt chip used on the pc side,seen at Computex.
    I hope Apple doesn't close it again.