Possibility of Updates at WWDC 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenman884, May 23, 2010.

1. kenman884 macrumors member

I know new MBPs were JUST released, but is there any possibility of speed bumps or price drops at WWDC 2010? My girlfriend is planning to purchase a 13" MBP (most likely base model), and though she's willing to wait, at least until the back-to-school iPod Touch promotion comes into effect, she would prefer not to.

Also, where is the best place to buy cheap SSDs, 128GB or more? Is the performance boost even worth it for general (internet/word processing/media consumption) use?

2. Tino04 macrumors member

Zero chance

3. Daiken macrumors newbie

I doubt they would update the MBP 2 months after they already updated it. I believe that statistically, everyone that bought the MBP after the recent update would go berserk if Apple would update it again this soon (included me :D)

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

There wouldn't be. I am assuming either you are new to Mac. They will update either the iPad (NOT LIKELY), iPhone (VERY LIKELY), and iPod Touch (with camera, nothing else.).
    There might be a slight bump in near November or December, such as Hard Drive Capacity. The MBP 13" basically have the same specs as MB 13". 250GB, Core 2 Duo, nVidia 320m. RAM is the only difference (not including designs, Firewire, glossy screen, and the SD card slot).

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

Not for the MBP.

What I expect to happen.
    1. The new westmere Mac Pro ( 6core/12core i7 @ 32nm )
    2. Iphone HD
    3. Macbook white ( MBP 13inch without firewire 800, SD slot and 2 GB ram of memory )

If your gf wants to wait for the new MBP, she needs to wait aroudn November/December. The new MBP will likely be Sandy Bridge quad cores @ 22 nm.

If she doesn't want to wait that long, then you should buy one now ( maybe there will be a revision B since Intel will come with more energy efficient clarksfield CPU's in a couple of months )

6. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i am hoping for an arrandale MBA so i can have a decent 13" after all, but i don't think it'll happen, if it comes at all during the WWDC i am 99% positive it will have the same C2D and 320M all recent models have :-(

9. kenman884 thread starter macrumors member

I can tell you didn't really read my question, because right next to it and below it prove I didn't join just for this question, and I'm not new to Mac.

I wouldn't be expecting much, maybe HD bumps or 10% price drops, but last year waiting for WWDC was definitely worth it.

But none of you answered my SSD question, which is what I'm really interested in.

Don't knock it until you try it. i3 isn't all that good, and the 320m is ****ing awesome. Core 2 Duo did not suddenly become pieces of crap because Intel came out with newer shinier processors.

10. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

next mbp update will most likely be before new years or after....but then again look how long apple took to release the mbp's with core i's. so honestly im a bit shaken on their whole "update every 7 and 3 quarter months".

11. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I just went from a 7200 rpm 500 gb hdd to a 256 gb Corsair SSD drive. I paid about $640 on NewEgg.com... to me it was the best upgrade I ever did. Way better than more RAM or faster processor. It boots in sub-20 seconds, programs load without even 1 bounce, and it makes things almost instantaneous. To me it was worth the $600 ... but if I had a kid and it were between sending the kid to college or SSD I'd prolly send the kid to school, haha.... or maybe community college and get a smaller SSD hehe

12. apolloa macrumors G4

Absolutely no chance. Mac Pro and maybe iMac updates are expected. Or the Mac Book Air.
    Mac Pro and MB Air are the oldest models now. Especially the Mac Pro.

But WWDC will be all about one, little, shiny device that can make phone calls..... ;)

Basically expect Steve to get on stage and hopefully announce new Mac Pro's and then go on about the iPhone 4 for an hour.
    Don't expect the Sandy Bridge until next year.

As for SSD's, no idea. Where are in the world?

13. cyclical macrumors regular

I'm actually not expecting any Mac-related news at WWDC. I think Mac Pro, iMac, Air etc. will just be unheralded "Tuesday" releases.

14. vant macrumors 65816

Mmm. Well educated I see ;)

In regards to your SSD question, I'd honestly wait it out until the new Intel X25-Ms. Q4 of 2010. A nice and large price reduction is expected.

SSDs will not change the way you process things, but it will change the load times. Examples: Booting, loading game levels, and opening applications.

15. Xombie11 macrumors regular

In regards to your SSD question, you may want to check out the new Seagate Momentus XT.

It seems to me the perfect option for a MBP. $150, 500GB capacity, twice as fast as current hard drives (yet half as fast as a SSD) yet it SPEEDS up over time (unlike the SSD).

You wouldn't have to spend >$500 for a high capacity SSD nor would you have to swap out your optical bay for a second hard drive.

Save the money you'd like to spend on a SSD until next year (the Intel X25-M G3s or the OWC Mercury Pros). By then you can get a far faster, far larger SSD for the same price you'd be spending now.

16. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

To the OP: How about you read your own post?

Do you really think anything will happen before WWDC? Did you really have to ask?

I bought a Kingston SSD from Amazon. It's $250 for a reason: those new Seagates would probably trounce my drive for speed, but I just wanted no moving parts.

17. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

The MBPs were recently updated. Its going to be at least 4 months (I'd bet more than that) before the next revision occurs.
    It's a good time to buy a MBP if you need one.
    Good luck.

18. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Here you go Ken. I don't know the size you're looking for, but this looked good.
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/search..."o"+docid="E574511883BA6C755D9E"]&wf=Commerce

19. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i never said the C2D's are suddenly crap now. I personally just cannot justify to myself spending €1150 on a 2008 P8600 CPU no matter if it is still fast enough ..... now. I know al the reasons, and i am probably wrong in feeling that way but it is my subjective opinion. I am not a spec wh0re but there are limits.

Besides i was hoping for an i5 in the MBA/MBP obviously not the i3 as it is barely better then the C2D (like you said yourself). An i5 with HT and TB would be more then enough to carry me through the next four years.

I also read that the 320M is a decent graphics card but it is still not a dedicated GPU and uses shared DDR3 RAM. These two issues make that i have not bought my MBP yet and am currently considering upping my budget to the base 15" or waiting for Q1 MBP refresh when the C2D is EOL and probably can't be used by apple anymore in their MBP's. 13" is still my preferred size.

20. vant macrumors 65816

That is pretty much a definition of a spec whore. Someone who wants the specifications, just because.

You are the type that would buy a Core i3 because it is 'new' despite the fact that it is outperformed by the 'old' 2.66 C2D.

21. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Thank you for labelling me as a 'type'. I don't want specs just because. As i said the i3 because it is hardly faster then the high end c2d. The 2.66 is overpriced at $300 extra. I need to have my laptop last +4 years at that time the c2d is 7 years old. That is like running vista on an atom now. That just doesn't feel smart. It's not about specs at all butrather at being able to run CS6 as well in three years.

22. kenman884 thread starter macrumors member

That thing looks freaking sweet! Thanks a lot. I have the standard 7200rpm drive with my Pro, but this blows it out of the water. I love Seagate.

Apple can't fit a dedicated GPU OR an i5 into a thin and light 13" laptop. Besides, the 320m is better than the common dedicated GPU in that size (310m, correct me if I'm wrong), and is actually nearly as good as the 9600m GT from previous generation. I understand being a little frustrated when you can't fit your needs with Apple's products, but be reasonable. They really can't do better at that size and price point.

23. Batman101 macrumors member

Jobs said the macbook will be in a new level this year, so i think it will be updated.

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

He also said "It's Magical" ... Uh huh ... Yeah Right

25. mark28 macrumors 68000

You expect a €1150 laptop to have a core i3? :rolleyes: It should have atleast been a core i5. ;)

Not all people are all that happy buying a 2008 computer in 2010 for such a price. And the core i5/i7 is alot quicker.