possibility of upgrading if you recently bought the iPhone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gnychis, Jun 8, 2009.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

I recently bought the iPhone 3g on May 4th. Has anyone heard of AT&T offering an upgrade if you bought it recently, yet? I know last year the cutoff was something like May 28th and after, they'd give you a free upgrade.

I'm not too concerned, as the hardware upgrades kind of suck other than battery life. But, thought I'd ask.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

3. skyy macrumors member

I'm interested in finding this out too; I just bought my 8gb 3G on the 29th. :(

4. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that you can return it using the 30-day return policy, and then buy the new one.

5. skyy macrumors member

I wonder if I'd be subject to a restocking fee or whatever else they want to charge you for returns though?

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

You should be elgible for the "one handset exchange" during the first 30 days. AT&T allows you to change your mind and select a different handset.

If you return it and don't select another phone then you will be subject to the restocking fee.

Dave

7. eyecool macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat with my wife's iPhone purchased 10 days ago. Will post info after going to Apple store tomorrow.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hate to say it, but I think you are out of luck. You are already over the 30 day return timeframe and the new one is out for another week and a half. I would go to Apple's website and see if you are eligible for an upgrade. I have 3 lines on my family plan: one is eligible for the upgrade pricing, one will be eligible in September, the other will be eligible in November.

9. mpdrouin macrumors newbie

I went to my local ATT store and the manager said he is getting flooded with calls from customers but hasn't heard anything from Apple or any one else....

That doesn't help but that is what I found out.

I bought the 3G 8Gig iPhone on May 27 - I wonder if I could swap out for the new 3GS 16 gig? It would be the same price, interesting thought

10. skyy macrumors member

I'm a little confused - is that 30 day exchange for new accounts? I'm not new with AT&T, I had a different phone and was eligible for an upgrade, and that's when I bought the 3G I got on the 29th. And I bought it at an Apple Store, not an AT&T store.

11. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

12. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

i hope its true...

I was informed by an AT&T rep that i can exchange it on the 19th but i will have to pay the 10% restocking fee... but hey $29 is alot better than paying 299 all over again LOL.
    I certainly hope i wasnt misinformed.

13. jrm27 macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in this too. My boss literally started a new contract with the 3g hours before the 3Gs was announced. I'm trying to find out if he can excahnge it for the new phone since it is the same price that he paid...

14. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

when did you purchase yours?

15. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

may 29

16. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

found this on ATT forum

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/...iew=by_date_ascending&message.id=75434#M75434

Thank you for taking the time to post your inquiry. To provide the best customer experience possible to customers who purchased iPhone 3G between May 9, 2009, and June 8, 2009, both the 30-Day Price Guarantee and the 30-Day Return policies have been modified to provide a grace period.

The 30-day return policy has been extended to allow extra time for customers who purchased the iPhone 3G between May 9, 2009 and May 19, 2009. Customers must visit a COR location and exchange their iPhone 3G for iPhone 3G S. To qualify for the extended return period, customers must visit a COR location and preorder iPhone 3G S between June 8, 2009, and June 18, 2009. Please be advised that you can continue to use your iPhone 3G until your new iPhone 3G S is available. You will be given a full refund for your iPhone 3G, minus the 10% restocking fee based on the new iPhone 3G pricing.

17. Razeus macrumors 601

You're out of luck.

When you make electronics/gadget purchases, please do reasearch and find out the buzz about said product before the purchase.

See you in 2 years.

Next.

18. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Anybody who has bought an iPhone in the last 30 should be flocking to return it. I saw a guy I know get suckered into buying one Friday at AT&T. If only I had gotten there 10 minutes sooner. But I told him to return yesterday. It' s funny because the workers were so in clouds about a new iPhone. But they only sell phones and aren't Apple followers. :eek:

19. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

hmm... why would one be out of luck. AT&T verified this info for me LOL. secondly, why would you be happy about someone getting screwed, especially since they just dropped $300 on a phone? After doing a little research, LOL, i also discovered that AT&T had a similar program last year, for all those who asked when purchasing a product and were either lied to or forced to deal with uninformed store reps (either way the customer gets screwed.) Again not everyone has time to dig thru rumor mills and the such. Some of us have lives. LOL a buddy of mine told me about the new upgrades, only after i showed him my phone, so ive been on these rumor sites for a week now. But again Why would you be happy about someone getting screwed, it seems as though you want this to happen. Luckily we have choices as consumers, and even if ATT decided to go against its decision to allow for exchanges, I could always just return my purchase and cancel my contract. there are alternatives. So no one is really out of luck. Especially in this economy, if you can drop that kind of money on a phone companies are more than willing to work with you. Trust me i called Sprint before i bought my iphone and they tried everything to talk me into signing on with them. Too bad they suck. Let's hope AT&T uphold this decision.

20. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

True that about the workers. They more than apologized to me and informed me of the overwhelming number of complaints they recieved in a single day LOL. she apologized for not knowing ahead of time. LOL ... this is actually apples fault as much as AT&T. when your launching and overpriced phone you shouldnt be so secretive about its release. LOL at least give potential and current customers some word beforehand. LOL.

21. smswetz macrumors newbie

A very good friend of mine is an RSM for AT&T up here, he manages quite a few stores in the NH district and I was telling him that he'd be selling the phone for $99, he'd have to be to work at 7am on the 19th, and that he'd be taking preorders come 5pm. This news wasn't relayed to him until about 5pm yesterday, and they still haven't been notified about early hours on the 19th. I think it's funny that AT&T was left so out of the loop on all of this.

22. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

Agreed. Whats sad is now theyre eating the costs to correct the problem.

23. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

24. Versus macrumors member

Ah, well that sucks. I just handed mine over yesterday. I bought it on the 29th. I got hit with the restocking fee, but didn't realize I could have held onto it for another 10 days. That would have been better than having to cancel the whole contract, then going back and doing it all over again.

Oh well, knowing my luck I would have dropped it on June 18th. At least this way it's safely in ATT's hands and out of mine.

25. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

did you return your 3G or keep it?