Possibility to see a new iMac til Friday?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nicklaz0r, Jun 12, 2012.

1. nicklaz0r macrumors member

WWDC isn't really over.

There might just be "one more thing" after all.

What do you think?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Deeper research into GPU availability, particularly if they're going with Nvidia, suggests that this week or next is unlikely.

3. nicklaz0r thread starter macrumors member

Has there been a situation where the iMac had a different GPU manufacturer than the MacBook Pro? (And vice verca) ?

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

2009 & 2010 models. But Apple wasn't paying much attention to what graphics they put in the MBPs until very recently. For example, the Nvidia 330m was in MBPs as recently as the beginning of last year, but is a positively atrocious card.

iMacs haven't used Nvidia since the late 2009 entry level model.

5. fsu06 macrumors newbie

Please elaborate.

6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

So the availability of the 680m is not ready for another few weeks?
    Having trouble finding information on availability.

7. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

No way it'll be this week. If they had one ready they'd have mentioned it, even if it were only 2 or 3 weeks out. They'd be taking pre-orders if it were that close.

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

It's hard to find solid information. But, for example, take the Origin EON17s. In base configuration, its expected ship date is July 3. But both the 680M and 7970m are listed as "extended lead time", and change the expected ship date to July 13. I see similar results with the 680M from some other vendors, and Alienware - which has announced 680M inclusion in the M17x and M18x - doesn't even allow it to be selected yet when configuring the computer.

9. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Excellent information, thanks. I was hoping Apple would flex some muscle and get dibs on the cards before other companies. :(

10. nicklaz0r thread starter macrumors member

But what makes apple go with the 680M instead of some 7090M thing I heard before? (I really dont know about these integrated GPUS). I also heard that the 7090 or what it's called was better than the 680M and has been available.

I might be waaaaaaaaaaaaay off, but I heard about another GPU that would make the iMac pretty damn strong

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The AMD 7970m is the other possibility. Which also pushes out the Origin ship date, but is shipping ok (well, with 1-2 week lag) in Alienware, so it's even harder to read.

The AMD 7970m is a damn fine card, twice as good as the 2011 iMac's 6970m. Some early benchmarks showed it outperforming the Nvidia 680M. Later benchmarks refuted that. It looks like the 680M is actually better than the 7970m, by about 10-20%. (And you pay 100% extra for that performance boost.)

I'm speculating here, but it's possible that Apple has quietly signed a long-term commitment to Nvidia exclusivity in exchange for some early access to components and/or better-quality video driver development. It's also possible that they're planning on going with AMD but don't have enough on hand yet, but that's a weaker probability IMO.

12. fsu06 macrumors newbie

I'm kind of hoping for the 7970M. For instance, I would think Apple would have the sense to put a SSD standard in the machine before paying double for a slightly better video card. Otherwise, I can definitely see the 680M being a BTO option (which is really annoying because you just know it's going to have an absurd price).

But if they did sign some kind of exclusivity agreement, that would make sense. If I remember correctly, ATI drivers for OSX are historically kinda ****** (or is the other way around?). Here's to hoping they get it to us in some kind of timely fashion.

13. jon9091 macrumors member

Let me check the Magic 8-Ball.

It said. "Don't Count On It."

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Performance-wise, video drivers for OS X in general are historically kinda ******. In addition, Nvidia historically has some stability issues.