Possible 2013 rMBP 13" specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pandalorian, May 24, 2013.

1. Pandalorian macrumors member

Hello, i'm interested in purchasing a rMBP once they're refreshed at WWDC, but have a rather limiting budget. I would likely go for the base model, unless i couldn't get by without an upgrade. If the new models will feature the Intel HD5000/5200, will there be any substantial improvement in graphics performance, or just minor tweaks and around 10-15% improvement over the previous generation like normal? I currently have a 2012 13" air and would really appreciate some improvement over the rather low-performing HD4000. Also, i would like at least the option to configure with 16GB of RAM, and hopefully like the 15" they will increase the standard SSD size to 256GB rather than 128. *crosses fingers*

Anyway, if anyone well-informed about Haswell could answer these questions, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Pandalorian

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Haswell 5200 brings an around 100% increase in graphics performance. 5000-5100 brings 25-50%. 16 GB of RAM is a very possible option for BTO, but it also might still be one of the defining specs that Apple uses to make people buy a 15". Also, I'm expecting the death of the 64 GB MacBook Air, and for it to be 128 GB up, but getting rid of the 128 GB rMBP seems unlikely, although possible. NAND flash is not cheap.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

We need a sticky that simply reads: "New MBP's: We'll have to just wait and see."

4. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I think the Intel 5200 graphics ("Iris Pro") are only going to be available in the quad-core CPUs. So unless the rMBP 13" gets quad-core CPUs this time around, it'll probably be getting the Intel 4600 -5000 graphics.

5. Verix macrumors regular

Intel 4600 should only be for the very low end stuff (and for desktop chips since they should have discrete graphics), so we'd be looking at HD5000/HD5100

6. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea you're probably right, so I think most people excited about the Haswell Macbook Pro's (especially 13 inchers like the air/pro/retina) are looking at benchmarks for the "Iris Pro" Intel 5200 graphics, so hopefully they're not too disappointed if Apple ends up putting in Intel 5000 graphics which are noticeably slower than the 5200.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yeah. I'm hoping this is not the case. Jeez, it's a 'Pro' machine and the memory can't be upgraded later. Please give us the option for 16GB with the 13"... :)

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

HD 4600 will not just be low end. It is plenty fast or all non gaming stuff and whenever there is a dGPU around. The HD 5000 is just a waste of DIE space if you don't need it.

It will come down to how much Apple will want to spend on the CPU. Most likely the standard config will have some slower cheap CPU like now in it. But an option for a Quad Core and HD 5X00 is definitely possible. The cooling has some headroom and Intel is happy to sell 37W Quad Cores with all the bells and whistles but they also charge quad core prices.
    Apple could have put a quad core into the current rMBP but that Ivy Bridge CPU cost almost double the standard config cpu. Well covered by the usual upgrade price cost but the profit margins would shrink too much and the notebook would be too appealing for people who would otherwise pay for a 15" with much higher absolute profit margins. If people only decide between 15" and 13" but not go to a competitor because they want OSX or an Apple anyway, why should you sell them the cheaper stuff.

This time though they kind of have to put some more serious CPU into the 13" at least as an option or that whole Mac Book Pro name gets a bit ridiculous. The last time they could focus on the retina screen and say that is enough to make it pro as opposed to the Air.