Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allegator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Greetings,

I was wondering if there is a way to unlock an iPhone 3GS without the replacing the orginal baseband with the iPad baseband?

I've heard that people with the newest 3GS's have just jailbroken and used ultrasn0w without the iPad baseband (because it perm-bricks the newer 3GS model) to gain carrier-freedom. I'm simply wondering if there is any truth in these claims.

As far as I know, changing the baseband is something cannot be undone. Once it is changed, there is no going back. So I was thinking that changing the baseband would be the last thing one would want to do since it has the potential to be very unforgiving.

I'm currently surfing a very popular auction website for a 3GS with a serial number that indicates the phone was manufactured before the "130" mark so that I may use it with my tmobile service, but I'd still be a little hesitant in changing the baseband.

On a side note, with an iPhone 3gs produced in 2009-2010 with no extenuating circumstances what are the chances for a successful unlock using the baseband change and ultrasn0w? how about just using ultrasn0w?

Thank you for your time!

Allegator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
what baseband and firmware do you have?

Currently, I do not have an iPhone in my possession. I am looking to buy.

What baseband and firmware should I be looking for? Anything that can run ios5, be used on tmobile, and not have the baseband flashed?

How risky is flashing the baseband?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Currently, I do not have an iPhone in my possession. I am looking to buy.

What baseband and firmware should I be looking for? Anything that can run ios5, be used on tmobile, and not have the baseband flashed?

How risky is flashing the baseband?

Look for phone with baseband 05.13 or lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.