Possible App (for language translation)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dobbs2, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

I would just like to ask a question. What would it take to write an application for the Iphone that translates a text and/or email in real time to another language. So say I'm doing business in the US and I have some one in say Germany he inputs it in German and it shows up in my Iphone in English and when I type in English it shows up in German on his phone. Is that even possible?

2. kleo macrumors regular

it would be nearly impossible because apple wrote both the mail and SMS app. Not to mention translation software is horrid.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Of course it's still technically possible...but you'd have to write a whole email program...and even then you wouldn't get received messages without opening up the application (at least until Apple decides to add push).

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

One or both sides could just push their email through google's translator etc. In a way, it almost sounds like you need an Automator/automated take email with specifc email address, copy all, push through babelfish/other, get results, reemail to yourself.

There are presumably alternatives on the market i'd imagine. As for an iPhone app - if you could cut and paste, you could just use Google's translate.

Depends what quality of translation you want!