Possible? Backup 3GS - Restore onto iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mgford11, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mgford11 macrumors member

Just trying to get an idea if this is possible. Each time I've purchased a new device, I'm pretty sure I just went w/ the "starting fresh" approach. I was curious if I can just dump my 3GS w/ iOS4's settings/photos/folders/apps onto my new iphone4?

2. cecoleman macrumors regular

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure what the real difference would be, considering its syncing the same library. Anyone with knowledge on this? Bump.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yes, it's possible. I've restored from my old phone's backup each time I've upgraded, and I'll do the same on Thursday.

Everything gets put back just as you had it, settings, app data, text messages, everything.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I've done this right from original ipod touch though to current iphone.

5. missadri macrumors newbie

It can be done

I have successfully done so. My 3GS was running 3.1.3 and it is now restored onto my iPhone 4. My only problem is I'm trying to wipe my 3GS and it is making me install iOS4. I wanted to keep running 3.1.3 to sell so they can still jailbreak/unlock

6. Jason B macrumors regular

If you have a pop email account, you will lose all the mail.

I just backed up my 3GS, and then restored that backup to my new Iphone 4. After doing this, all the email from my pop email account, "inbox", "outbox" "sent", and "drafts" is gone! It's still all on my 3GS, but none of those emails are on the Iphone 4.

I called apple as I had a the same issue when I went from my 3g to 3gs. I just went from a 3gs to a iphone 4. Apple said pop email isn't backed up in the backups!

That means everything in my sent box, drafts, etc. is gone! Yes, I also download these emails on my home computer, which pulls them off the server, but I wanted to still have those copies on my iphone. I can't believe this.

7. Xenius macrumors newbie

I did this this afternoon. Itunes actually prompted me on whether I wanted to "set up as new phone" or "restore form backup". I restored from the backup of my 3G (not 3GS). It seemed to work fine.

I have all my MMS/contacts/photos, and game settings. I'm pumped!

8. Jason B macrumors regular

But, do you have a POP email account? if you do, it won't save those emails for a pop account it seems.