iPhone X Possible battery drain issue ? Looking for any help/advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seanw1990, May 15, 2018.

1. seanw1990 macrumors newbie

seanw1990

Hi long time iPhone user here just got my iPhone X on Sunday 4th may and over the time using I’ve noticed something very strange , my battery seems to drop a few percentage a hour (mostly in work ) 6am to 3:30pm the thing that’s strange is when I have he phone in my pocket and and take it out and check the battery usage stats is goes up say 10 minutes in half an hour periods when it’s been sitting in my pocket on lock so I’ll remebr what the usage stats was at then check later say 30 monies again and the usage goes up again but it’s only been in my pocket I have the usual stuff turned off like background app refresh , hand off , air drop , auto brightness on , auto lock on 30 minutes , also tried setting up as new iPhone after an iTunes restore , is it just me or is this normal ? Never noticed it with all my previous iPhones ? I’ll attached screen shots of my battery % and usage also a screenshot of my system locations services as those seem to be on at a lot of times like compass calibration significant locations I’m presuming that’s normal behaviour in iOS 11 ? Anyway I hope this sort of makes sense I’m not the greatest at explaintion issues but any help or advice will be much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. tops2 macrumors 6502

Fwiw,the battery draining/phone "usage" is happening to me too with my iphone 8 on iOS 11.3.1. I've turned off a lot of settings but sometimes the phone will just keep reporting there's usage (despite being in my pocket or on my desk). I know its not being used during those times since I'll use my ipad of my old iphone 6 plus most of the time. The only thing that seems to "fix" the problem temporarily is rebooting the phone and then not using it. At this point, I kind of given up on what the problem is (aside from suspecting its iOS 11.3.1 and the apps I have or the iOS having bugs fully closing/suspending apps).

With my iphone 6 plus (still on iOS 10.3.3) I don't have this draining issue. My iPad occasionally will drain too. Its a wifi only iPad on iOS 11.3.1.

3. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Sometimes, it is hard to pin point where battery is draining. In the Battery Usage, tap on the clock icon to show details of on screen time and background activity for apps. You may notice some apps have been active in the background and forcing them close may help. Also, some apps requires "Always" location setting based on certain features like Maps. I would also check Privacy>Location Services>While Using for all apps unless app requires "Always" (which will constantly check your location to provide certain features) only. It looks like where you have significant location on as well, this feature keeps track of location you have been, how often and when you visited them. I would have this feature off unless you depend on some of its feature @ https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207056

4. TOM1211 macrumors newbie

Raise to wake turned off? I had a problem every time I pulled out my phone from my pocket (I have a iPhone X) the screen would be lit up I think it was raise to wake going off in my pocket and auto brightness made it worse

5. seanw1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

seanw1990

Raise to wake turned on and tap to wake , I really like those features on the x though auto brightness on to , I get what your saying tom , but when I pull my phone out my pocket the screen is always off until I bring it up to my face

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

At work is the phone connected to WiFI or is there not great Cell coverage? I find with not a great signal the battery usage goes up because I suspect thing like Mail have to retry to get connected to mail server

7. seanw1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

seanw1990

In work is no WiFi and 2 bars of 4g if your lucky , so maybe that is the problem as when I’m home on WiFi or in a area with 4 bars of 4g the battery doesn’t go down as fast

8. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Battery does drain a bit faster since the cellular modem attempt to search for better reception. WiFi doesn’t consume as much power as cellular.

9. seanw1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

seanw1990

Could be the issue then maybe it’s in my pocket trying to get a signal all the time so it’s maybe adding to the usage counter and draining the battery faster