Possible bluetooth for ipod touch 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ThisIsMyName, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

When people say Possible bluetooth for ipod touch 2g what do they mean?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

They mean that the hardware for bluetooth is in the iPod Touch 2G, but currently it's only being used for Nike+. Sucks, I know.

EDIT: I believe the same chip also has an FM tuner.

3. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

The integration for the Nike+ gadget works using an technology that's basically a cut-down version of Bluetooth. The bluetooth chip in the iPod Touch could theoretically support full bluetooth functionality.

It's uncertain wether the chip in the Touch can support proper Bluetooth or not.

Speculation on the actual and future capabilities abound.

4. Aeroplane macrumors member

If it indeed is a bluetooth chip what the Nike+ function uses, they should have let us switch it to normal bluetooth use (for all of us lazy people) and even those who use the Nike+ function, they're not running all of the time, are they? they could benefit too from the bluetooth capability, but if Apple had planned to make it so, they would have announced it from the beginning, right? What reason is there to hide the bluetooth capability? this would only encourage potential customers to buy it. well, that's my opinion :eek:

5. ThisIsMyName thread starter macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

yea but apple sometimes does strange things.

6. Funplex macrumors regular

Yesterday I was moving stuff and riding in a car with friends-- I had the directions I needed saved on my first gen touch, but while I was looking at the directions-- I noticed the crosshair on the iPod was updating our ACTUAL location in real-time. We took a different street and it updated the purple crosshair for that.

Im kinda baffled because It's just a touch and theres no service in order for it to identify where the heck we were.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

It's called "skyhook", and it updates your position based on sensing the position of the wireless networks around you. ;)

8. Funplex macrumors regular

Awesome!! It's a darn shame iPod doesn't cache larger maps such as a whole city, because I enjoyed seeing it update our position but eventually as our day carried on, we left the original directions.