*Possible* cause for the 3G reception issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Carpe Deez, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Carpe Deez macrumors member

Seems like a possibility.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10015301-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Fanboys/gals, please commence your "I don't have any problems" comments below. I know 8 people that have the iPhone 3G, and they all keep 3G turned off because of the wide array of issues. Dropped calls, inconsistent data rates, etc... This points directly at Apple's use of this chipset, so if true, lay off AT&T, as much as they suck already.

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Alright fire away.

It says it doesn't know if the chips where used in the iPhone 3G.

It says not all users will be affected.

I'm not affected and you can see where I'm located on the left of your screen there. I think these problems are overblown. I have 4 to 5 bars of 3G all day everyday.

3. Carpe Deez thread starter macrumors member

I'm in NYC, where the cell towers are plenty. The problem may only manifest itself when switching from tower to tower. Not enough is known, but just because you're not effected doesn't mean your phone is fine. Perhaps you just haven't been in an environment where the problem would be noticed.

On the other hand, maybe your phone is perfect. Who knows at this point.

4. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

People use the "I know 8 people personally" way to often for it to be credible. Also, you need to actually read the article that you link to???? It does not say that this is the cause. In fact according to your link..."A financial analyst believes Apple's iPhone 3G reception issues may be the result of some faulty chips." What does a financial analyst know about electronic design? It's like me saying that Microsoft may be the cause of our recession. What makes me an expert? (I'm not)! Further in the article, "Some people will not experience these problems as it is only in areas where the radio signal weakens that the immaturity of the stack really shows." Holy cow, what a revelation. You might have signal strength problems in areas where the radio signal weakens! That's about as profound as, you might experience the sensation of a full bladder berfore urinating! I am no defender of AT&T and while I like Apple products I am certainly not a "fanboy", but your post makes you look really bad. It was extremely poorly researched. :p I live in San Diego and consistenly have 4 to 5 Bars of 3G. I am inside a building with no windows right now with 2 Bars.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'll test that theory since I'm heading out on a road trip at the end of the week. I thought about starting a thread here to report on my iPhone 3G quality of service as I travel about. I also plan to use the Netshare app some to test it out more. I have my laptop connect card USB881 to use also, but would be interested to test Netshare some as well.

I have heard a lot of complaints about 3G on here, but in Okie land it sure is great. Don't ask my why this isn't exactly the Mecca of cell service or anything. :)

6. evands macrumors member

I was an original iPhone user from the first week it came out, and I got a 3G iPhone the first week it was out. I have been in the same areas regularly with each phone. I have also used numerous other phones in the same areas, most recently a Treo.

The original iPhone had very impressive performance for me - I don't believe I had a single dropped call except for in areas that I didn't expect to have service anyways (e.g. near an MRI machine).

The 3G iPhone, with 3G enabled, drops calls on a daily basis. With 3G disabled, I get the same reliability I came to expect from the original iPhone. In fact, I can be standing in a single spot with 3G enabled, have 0 to 1 bars, disable EDGE, and immediately jump to 4 bars (returning to 1 bar when reenabling 3G).

This is a personal anecdote, so of course not everyone has the same experience, but there is definitely something to the reports of a difference in reception capabilites.

7. Carpe Deez thread starter macrumors member

You seem pretty angry. More than people claiming to know 8 people with iPhones (it's not so uncommon in NYC) is the trend of people calling others frauds or liars on this board. You're just one of the many people that like to do so.

Do you even know what a financial analyst does? You're clearly out of your element, and your ignorant post emphasizes this. Certain financial analysts know more about technology than the IT support teams in their banks. This particular FA knows about this chipset and the rollout in Europe because he covered it, and the fallout from what happened after.

Because you have 4-5 bars means nothing. I have 4-5 bars. My friends have 4-5 bars. That's not the problem. The problem is that while I'm riding down the west side highway with some young woman's face in my lap, while talking with my girlfriend, I expect the call not to drop. But it does. Often. My friends experience the same issue in addition to other issues.

Do you think I'm saying these things for fun? I'm saying them so that Apple or AT&T (Apple in this case) could possibly sit down and figure a way through this issue. It IS an issue.

8. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Not angry... just extremely confused. Geraldo Rivera covered part of the conflict in Iraq that doesn't make him qualified to lead an army or give an expert opinion about it's operation. I am just not sure that an FA should be quoted as an expert about electronics just because he covered it. On top of that they are not even sure if that particular chipset is being used or is the problem.

As for calling you a liar, if that is the impression you got...I apologize. I was not questioning your integrity. I was just letting you know that anyone can say they know 8 people who have the same problem. It's not a credible argument. That's all. Just to be fair though, you insulted every Apple fan with the "fanboy" reference so please don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house. If you're gonna throw that out there, don't get all butt hurt when someone gets offended by your reference. But again, I'm not trying to start anything with you. I definitely didn't mean to insinuate that you are a liar ( I apologize if you felt that way). I just don't feel that a FA is the expert I am going to listen to. I believe AT&T's 3G network sucks and that's the problem!

9. Reiger macrumors regular

I don't experience any missed calls. But the 3G coverage of the iPhone is really much worse than other 3G phones. It is really easy to compare the iPhone with for example the HTC Diamond and the Nokia N95. Furthermore the iPhone seems to lose 3G coverage while staying on exactly the same place.

This is really really bad :mad:

10. klnorth macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd chime in with my own personal experience. Since I have migrated to the iPhone 3G from a Blackberry (both on AT&T) I have noticed many more dropped calls for no reason. Because of that and battery life issues I have turned off 3G an only turn it back on when I am doing some larger data downloads. Since the 3G has been turned off, I notice that my dropped calls are quite a bit fewer. I know this is not an exact representation, but seems to me that something with the 3G is causing more calling issues.

Just My Two Cents!

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

As pointed out elsewhere -
    http://www.intomobile.com/2007/08/1...ems-may-get-worse-the-dreaded-dead-strip.html

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/08/10/apple-more-on-the-iphone-touch-screen-brouhaha/
    http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...nomua-notes-potential-iphone-screen-problems/
    Just because he might know a few things doesn't mean all that. Heck, Infineon as the provider was guessed months back.

Could be useful, could be a stock play. It's not like analysts give bad reports on AAPL to get a short...

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I never had any reception problems with my first gen iPhone, or in my 5 years with AT&T.

However, in the last month, I've had AT LEAST twice as many calls dropped on my 3G iPhone than I've had in the last 5 years combined. I also often run into a problem where the iPhone instantly says "call failed" when attempting to make calls, and I have to hit "Try Again" 10-15 times before the call will go through.

Today, I got sick of it and complained to Apple and was given a new one. It's been about 6 and a half hours so far, and no dropped calls, so we'll see how things go.

13. atlken77 macrumors member

I know one person personally (me) who gets crappy 3G service in Atlanta GA - the HQ of ATT mobility... just sayin...

And FYI -- his post did say "POSSIBLE" cause and all the techy blogs are picking it up as news. It may be the cause, or may not be...either way I am still hoping its a software fix and not a hardware fix

14. n8236 macrumors 65816

I would have to also agree with this statement because I've owned both iPhones since it's birth. The iPhone classic did have some reliable service, I hardly had any dropped calls in the Bay Area. I do IT and have clients up in hilltops and what not and it still performed decently. With my 3G, the bars and networks change more often than women do w/ their shoes and purses. :apple:

15. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I saw possible, I was just ticked by the fact that OP went straight to "fanboy" and that people would defend Apple senselessly.

I too hope that a software update will fix it. I tried the old scotch tape trick and my reception was noticeably better

16. bigmouth macrumors 6502

My iPhone 3G's reception is significantly better than my HTC TyTn II (aka Tilt). I've read comments from others who say the same thing.

17. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

18. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Apple is lame. They are so worried about photo leaks of there stupid iphone that they don't even let carriers test mockups before going on sale. Your selling a phone globally, ya should probably run some field tests before going into full production NO!

Maybe we should all move to Cupertino. I'm sure the iphone works FLAWLESS there.

19. ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

To the original poster. When trying to solidify your integrity, try not mentioning your need for cheating on your girlfriend. It's one thing to be a liar...It's another to be a selfish, thoughtless liar. I'm really not sure what your intention was by adding that sentence?

20. ssajous macrumors member

Who cares right? everyone is in NY City.

If it is a chip issue, whatch out!!! I am in DC and every once in a while, in places where i know there is reception it says no service. Time will tell if this is not going to be a disaster.

21. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

my phone drops calls all the time, i am getting really sick of this.

22. Carpe Deez thread starter macrumors member

First of all... What integrity? It doesn't matter if you believe me or not on this board. If you choose not to, there's nothing I can do about it. I'll sleep fine tonight, trust me.

As for my girlfriend... she knows what I do with other women, but she's a sycophant who loves money. Unless she finds someone that makes more money and will put up with her incessant bull^&$#, she'll never leave. It's a self-imposed cage of lust, loathing, love and hate. She's trapped, and I like her just where she is.

23. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

I don't understand how your crazy woman has anything to do with dropped calls. You sound like you have issues, maybe you should get on the phone with a therapist. Hopefully, you won't drop the call.

24. vilasgn macrumors regular

From CNET Reader's Comment...

Windsor is the same analyst who theorized that the iPhone EDGE touchscreens were susceptible to heat, and could degrade within 4-6 months, and, more ominously, were not fixable except by complete replacement.

Sound familiar? You might want to check when Windsor retracted that erroneous report as well to his clients, to assure them that 1) he was wrong about the chemical composition of the iPhone screen 2) he was wrong about the screens failing within 4-6 months.

Oh, nevermind, he didn't.

25. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Luckily for me, my iPhone 3G hasn't dropped calls yet (unlike the Blackjack and Moto Q it replaces). If there is a problem, I hope it's fixable in software and not a hardware flaw as implied in the linked article.

Posts like this remind me of this song.