Possible causes for slow-to-appear Apple logo at startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by celticpride678, Dec 24, 2010.

1. celticpride678

I've been having an issue with my Mac where the Apple logo takes roughly 30 seconds to appear at startup. Once the logo appears, the computer takes another 30 seconds to startup (which is normal).

Before, the Apple logo showed up almost instantly. I've already attempted a clean install of the latest version of Snow Leopard. I've also tried a PRAM and SMC reset.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Is anything else particularly slow? If so, it may be a slowly dying HD.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The PRAM reset may have already done this, but open the Startup Disk preference panel and make sure that your boot volume is selected.

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Nope, the rest of the computer is near perfect.

Yep, already tried this.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Interesting. Mine always takes a few seconds, and boots in 45-50 seconds or so with a 7200 RPM drive, so a total of a minute doesn't sound that unusual.

6. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

A few other people I've spoken to about the issue have said that it sounds normal, but it really isn't.

Last month, my Mac was booting in 35 seconds. Now, its double that since it takes 35 seconds for the Apple logo to show up and then another 35 to actually boot up. Something just isn't right.

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Seriously? I have a Scorpio Black drive in my 2009 MBP and my average boot time is around 35-37 seconds from power on to desktop.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I haven't timed it with auto-login enabled (I like having to enter my password to get on when I'm at school), but I imagine that's a bit faster. For some reason, my machine takes longer than my family's 09 13" to get from pressing the power button to the initial grey screen, so I think that's some of it. Doesn't bother me though

9. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Novel Test

Used to work at CompUSA, and heard this interesting Mac boot test from one of the techs. Insert your OSX or a Windows boot CD/DVD into the drive and start the computer up holding the Option button (to show the boot screen). If the CD/DVD appears before your hard drive boot volume, or if the drive has at least already spun up before the hard drive appears, something is wrong with the drive or the connections with the drive.

On the bright side, the hard drive failing is one of the cheapest parts to replace if you don't have the Applecare/1-year warranty coverage.. :)

11. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

press cmd-v during bootup to see the verbose logging
    check the permissions of /. and /.. - they should be root:admin (this frequently gets messed up on my computer)
    do Disk Utility -> Permissions Repair

12. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

THose are fine too.

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Believe it or not, I've had some issues when my MacBook is shaken around too much. When it's shaken around too much, it takes a long time to shut down, and then sometimes a long time to start up. But after that, it starts working perfectly again haha

14. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I'm not sure if it's related, but I just realized that my iSight video camera is not being recognized. Any ideas?

15. Blondie :), Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010

Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

well in that case it sounds like an overall hardware issue. Have you reset your SMC? Sorry but I haven't read all of the above posts before posting this. And if that doesn't work, try resetting your PRAM I suppose and see if that does anything. Post back any updates

never mind...I just read your first post. Lol

16. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Went to the Genius Bar earlier today and sent my Mac in for repair. They're going to scan the hard drive, as well as replace my iSight. Hopefully it will resolve this issue.

Will report back next week when I get my Mac back.

17. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

sounds like a good plan. I'm pretty sure they'll figure it out

18. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Any followup from your visit to the Genius Bar? I've been experiencing the same problem.

19. chenry macrumors member

Interesting, I've been having a similar issue, but with my MBA 11. From pressing the power button to getting the Apple logo takes around 35 seconds, then 15 secs to go from there to the desktop.

Other MBA owners (including my wifes MBA 13) are going from power on to desktop in 15 secs. Looking in the logs it seems to take 15-20 secs for SL to load.

I've also reset the PRAM but its made no difference.

I think its hardware related, something like a PC BIOS POST happening during that time. I changed my SSD for the OWC 240GB one and thought that might have something to do with it, so I raised an issue with them earlier today.

But if anyone has any other ideas it would be great to hear them.

20. Simmity macrumors newbie

Simmity

Select the macintosh boot disc and click restart, this should fix the issue.

21. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Sorry it's taken so long to respond...yes, the issue was resolved by replacing the iSight.