Possible Consequences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mallbritton, Sep 29, 2013.

1. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Hello, everyone.

I'm currently working in Eastern Europe and living with a host family. The father just came back from a trip abroad and brought a used iPhone 5. I know nothing of the history of the device and have no way to find out since it was purchased in another country. But it is unlocked and jailbroken. I don't know if it was jailbroken to unlock it or just to customize it, though. All I do know is the language was set to Russian and all the native iOS apps behave very strangely (at least to me). For example Maps opens to a web browser. I don't have any experience with jailbroken iPhones so what I'd like to know is what might be all the possible consequences of restoring this device to "factory." I know it could possibly re-lock the device (if it was previously locked) which I certainly don't want to do. But I'd like to get all the native apps to work like they are supposed to for the family and the only way I know to do that is to restore the iPhone to "factory."Or is there another way to find out if it is carrier unlocked? We've put a SIM in it and it does pickup the network and works for calls.

Best regards,
    Michael

2. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 did not have any jailbreak software unlock so I'm pretty sure it is unlocked. when in doubt you can check the status of the phone at: http://iphoneimei.info/ and see if it is unlocked.

If it is do this step by step:

1. log out/delete icloud/imessage/facetime/appstore accounts, log in yours/the host father's account.
    2. Restore to iOS 7.0.2 and then set it up all over
    3. enjoy your questionably sourced iPhone 5.

3. mallbritton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not know about that web site, thanks. It works perfectly on my iPhone which is factory unlocked. I did not think there was a jailbreak for the iPhone 5 but wasn't sure.

Thanks very much for the information.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just to be clear, I think what the other poster meant is that there was no software unlock available through a jailbreak for the iPhone 5.

There is currently and has been a jailbreak for iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 on the iPhone 5 (and other devices). It's been available since February 2013.

My own iPhone 5 has been jailbroken on iOS 6.1 since February.

www.evasi0n.com

5. mallbritton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, that makes sense. As I mentioned I don't have any experience with jailbreaking. Thanks!

6. mallbritton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now this is strange. I just had a chance to input the IMEI into the website mentioned above and it comes back "invalid IMEI." I don't think an iMEI can be faked, can it? Curiouser and curiouser.