Possible Convert

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vp7799, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Vp7799 macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I was in a Apple store today and I started thinking, mostly about how my current PC is random restarting and I am tired of fixing it. There was a point where I loved to build my own PC and work out the kinks. Now I have a wife and kids, basically a life and I no longer have time for the junk PC tends to throw at me. I was wondering what are some of the ways that Macs differ from PC. I am looking at mainly performance, speed, allocation of memory. System upkeep do I have to defrag every month and how easy is file management. How easy is it to share files on a home network? And multimedia I use Adobe Premiere elements now to play with video can I use the built in video software that comes on a Mac? Thank for any advice.

2. magicmoof macrumors newbie

I own 2 Macs and since OS X, I have not been defragging. OS X has some built in abilities to auto defrag. If you're regularly dealing with large files like video, it's still advisable to defrag every couple months.

One thing I love about my Macs compared to PCs are their startup times. My windows PC at work takes forever to boot. Probably partially due to running antivirus software, which you can forget about on the Mac. There's only a few Mac "viruses" out there and they are not affecting people at all. It's a different world.

iMovie is great for small video projects, home video, etc. If you're doing more serious work, requiring multiple layers/tracks of video and audio, Apple has Final Cut Express. Of course there's all the adobe apps.

If you have a life to live, get a Mac. You'll be much happier.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

What do you mean, "possible convert?!" You're in exactly the spot I was a year ago. My Dell was getting slower and slower. You sort of get accustomed to the crap it throws at you (I know that feeling very well), then you get a new PC, and it happens all over again. As a father doing light home-video editing, I think iMovie would be fine for you. I would recommend getting the higher mac mini (for the DVD burner) or the low end iMac, if you don't need the speed. No matter which one you get, remember to get some cheap ram to bring you up to 2GB. No defragmentation is required, and it isn't recommended by apple either. There are a couple of quirks to moving files, but generally OS X is easy to figure out and within a month you'll be wondering why you ever put up with that PC in the first place. Good luck, and really, get the mac. :D

4. instant hit macrumors member

instant hit

afaik, i notice osx's memory management to be more efficient than say windows vista. for instance, a system loaded with 4gb ram v. a system with 2gb ram, vista manages the memory in the same manner; relying on the antiquated swap file system of the windows 3.1 days. in osx, however, priority is given to available memory before going to swap -- or cache -- on the hard drive; as a result, it allows for more programs to be open at once. also, an increasing amount of applications support multi-threading, maximizing the however many cores are available.

as for system upkeep, the consensus among many (i've found) is to just leave it alone. of course, i couldn't live with myself by doing that -- being that i come from a dos/windows background and all -- so i use onyx. also, "dll hell" is nonexistent since all that has to be done a simple permissions repair via disk utility. ;)

5. Vp7799 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

Well I am gonna switch. I am going to have to wait till I get money first. Thanks for the advice

6. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

You're making the right move for sure. It is painful when I have to use a Windows machine now. Apple hardware is great, but OS X is what keeps me here.

7. Vp7799 thread starter macrumors newbie