Possible crack/hack? Urgently Need Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BenEndeem, Aug 22, 2008.

1. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

I checked my Activity Monitor and noticed a process called 'mdworker', in the user column it said 'nobody'. I've noticed a slight decrease in performance too. Does this mean I've been hacked? Or is there an innocent explanation? Help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That is part of the Spotlight system. It is certainly nothing to worry about. The nobody user is normal: it's not a real user so Apple cleverly include a system user called nobody!

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What is "insert process name" as your search query is a good solution...

4. BenEndeem thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a problem though? By the sound of those on the link its related to severe problems requiring reinstallation :eek: .

Thanks again.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you read the links carefully? If it's using huge amounts of CPU all the time then there is an issue, otherwise no: it's part of the core OS. It's meant to be there.

6. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

mdworker is part of Spotlight and sometimes goes into phases where it's doing work for like 5 hours...

7. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

If spotlight is indexing a drive or something then it'll chew up lots of resources. Wait some time and it'll go back to normal.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You can disable Spotlight (link is Leopard specific). Probably not a good idea for the typical user, but doing so can work wonders if you're using your Mac as a DAW, or otherwise running an app that you don't want to take a performance hit from mdworker kicking in. You can do the same in Tiger, via a different method... (search is your friend).