Possible dead pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forest91, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Hi all
    Just noticed a tiny black dot at the bottom corner of my screen, it wont rub off with anything. My pro is only 3 weeks old, any idea what this could be. How do I know if the pixel is dead or not? Really annoying

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Do:

Shift + Command + 3

Open the screenshot and see if the so called dead pixel is there... if not then it's a dead pixel or a graphic card problem... if yes then it's not a dead pixel, it's probably your wallpaper.

3. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah its not there in the screenshot. Damn it. What does one do?

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Try this:

Turn your brightness setting to complete darkness and leave it like that for 5min... then turn your brightness setting to the maximum and see if the pixel change or "repaired."

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

good advice pika :)

OP: i suggest downloading a pixel test tool http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10793

If it's only three weeks old and is indeed a dead pixel, I suggest calling Apple up or going into the genius bar. Tell them it really bothers you to the point where its preventing you from enjoying your computer and hopefully they exchange it

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Interesting, I have the same issue. I have had my MBP for about a month and there is a red dot on the screen. I took a snap shot and it appears on the snap shot, as well. Actually, it's always there, regardless of what is showing on the screen. I changed to different wall papers, as well. Any ideas?

7. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Tried that and it didn't show up as an obvious dead pixel, looks like a spec of something under the screen cover, but can't tell.
    :confused: :mad:

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

could be dust then. If that's the case pixel flashing programs won't help. I suggest taking it to an Apple store and they might just replace your screen or macbook. Dust is usually a prime candidate for replacement

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If its a black dot its either a piece of small dust particle underneath the display or a dead pixel (dead are black dots and stuck pixels are different colored dots).

If its either dust particle or the dead pixel, the only thing you can do is to live with it.

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I had 3 specks of dust under my screen and Apple replaced it. :eek:

11. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, I'm not sure yet whether I will get it replaced or not.
    Now is a really bad time anyway as I need my laptop in the close future, and I don't have an apple shop anywhere near me, just independent retailers.
    Can I do it via phone and courier?

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I do all my repairs and service via mail-in because the Apple store is 2hr+ from my location. And I meant they replaced my screen, not the entire computer.