Possible Defective Battery? MBA 2012 13 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xopher, Jun 20, 2012.

1. xopher, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

xopher macrumors newbie

So i just received my MBA yesterday from fedex (I ordered it online to get 4 gb of extra ram installed).

After I opened it, I was surprised to see it charged @100% capacity. Initially when i turned it on, it was rated the expected battery life of approximately 6:30 hours which seems pretty standard to other reports. Under the recommendations of other mac users, I decided to use the laptop unplug until it drained then give it a complete charge to cycle the battery.

During those 6 hours, I was able to install all the programs i needed such as Photoshop CS6, Adobe Lightroom, Microsoft office and fit in some photo editing. I was initially really happy by the battery life, quiet fan, low temperatures and more surprisingly complete smooth rendering/editing on PS/LR. It was a nice change coming from a dell M1330 which idled at 75C with a roaring fan...

By the end of the evening, I had completely drained the laptop of its batteries and let it charge overnight.

This morning, after i turned on the notebook, I was surprised to see the an estimate of only 3 hours of battery life. I double checked all unneeded applications were turned off and even checked the battery health under the Utilities menu. My battery currently lists 6474 mAH which seems pretty average in comparison to the numbers i found on another thread.

So... has anyone experienced a similar problem with their battery life? Based on my limited usage this morning.. i think its pretty bang on with the estimate....WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER 3 HOURS!??!?

----------

update: I'm in a quite room now... and it appears the fan is going pretty crazy now... slim chance it maybe stuck on turboboost?

Update2: So i restarted the notebook and the fan is now off... battery power quote 6:30 @68%.... Is there anyway to control this turboboost? There is no way it should have been activated..only safari was opened...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

TurboBoost doesn't get stuck "on". The battery is not defective. The battery's estimate is based on what the machine is currently doing. It sounds like something is using lots of CPU cycles because of the fan's high speed. Because of this, the computer is estimating only 3 hours based on the current load. See what's using resources with Activity Monitor. Don't forget to make it show all processes, not just you processes.

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Meh, I've had my 2011 since April and it's down to 6100mah :(

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

5. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Forget about the remaining time the battery indicator shows and focus on its percentage. As the previous poster said, the time is an estimation based on what you're doing. Next time you fully charge it, reboot and unplug it. Then stay at your desktop doing nothing at all and check the estimated remaining time. I've seen mine go over 9h while staring at some code. (In which I can't find an error, LOL).

I always leave just the percentage. You eventually get to know how much time you got left depending on what you're doing.