Possible difference in performances between 2 ip6 models ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CiccioAtSea, Sep 12, 2014.

1. CiccioAtSea macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

Maybe this is already being discussed somewhere else, sorry if so but..

If teardowns will confirm that both ip6 and ip6+ have 1Gb of ram, do you think it is possible that with exactly the same specs the smaller device may run faster because of the fewer pixels to manage?

Having a cheaper device running better than the other would be awkward I suppose...

2. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

I was about to post a new thread asking the very same thing. According to the nifty graphic here, the 6 Plus will render stuff at 3x, vs the 2x on the 6, and then downsample the image to fit the screen. If the A8 is clocked the same between the two and both models have the same amount of RAM, then the 6 Plus should be slower than the 6 when it comes to processor intensive stuff right?

3. joecartoon22 macrumors member

that is a good point. if both phones and the exact same specs, then it is possible the iphone 6 plus would be a bit slower since it has to render for a larger screen

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, it is possible, but not because of the amount of RAM. That could potentially be an issue with memory pressure crashes, but it shouldn't affect the rendering speed (frame rate) much. But what kind of GPU will. It is very possible, even probable, that Apple is clocking the Plus GPU higher, or using an entirely different GPU entirely (more cores or more shader units, etc.). Some of the extra battery available in the Plus would likely be directed to compensating for the additional pixels. Which is fine, I just hope it's not an iPad 3 situation, where they did something similar for the new retina display, and it was a real pig.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Everything being equal the 6+ will be slower. We'll likely just see a clock speed bump (more accurately the 6 underclocked) so the speeds/benchmarks are similar.

RAM does not effect processing speed. Not sure why everyone is so confused with how RAM works. Even in a desktop computer it's not increasing processing speed. More RAM merely means more data can stay in RAM thus eliminating pulling data off the slower HDD, SSD or Nand.

6. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

7. CiccioAtSea thread starter macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

I think there will be dedicated ip6+ versions for some app,
    Being the whole interface designed to fit more pixels would also mean bigger "graphics" and more ram space needed to run it on de device, isn't this true??

Just wondering, I'm not a technician or anything else in this field...