Possible disturbing use of iPhone in public library

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pinsrw, Sep 29, 2010.

1. pinsrw macrumors regular

Hi all,

OK, the title of this post has whetted your appetite for sordid details, but this is actually somewhat serious.

Recently I was in a public library and the Wifi router near me was defective. It wasn't working at all. At a certain point, a young employee of the library walked near where I was and started doing what I thought was stacking books. The odd thing was, she kept popping her head out to look at myself and some others patrons, as if to see what we were doing. Nothing to worry about really.

But I had noticed that just when she arrived, a new Wifi network had appeared, called something like Free Public Internet. I didn't connect to it because I assume it was a computer-to-computer connection and I don't use those.

I then got up to stretch and walked around and I noticed that this low-level worker was not in fact stacking books, she was just crouched there behind a nearby shelf seemingly doing nothing but looking at her iPhone.

At this point I realized, most likely her iPhone was the new network and for whatever reason she was eager to have us patrons using her iPhone as a router to access the Internet. But why? Because it would be analyzing and storing our packets.

I recall hearing maybe 10 years ago that there was a Mac application -- I forget the name, because I didn't use Macs at the time -- that could intercept packets from unencrypted Wifi connections and piece together any files that were being transferred using http. It was commonly used, people said, for piecing together image files and displaying those.

My question is, what app is being used for this nefarious activity? I assume it requires a jailbroken iPhone.

And why doesn't Apple prevent use of the iPhone as a router?

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

If there is more to your story than just paranoia, then yes. Something like this would definitely require a jailbroken iPhone.

What that means is that Apple has taken steps to prevent this.

They can't protect you from yourself.

3. strodda macrumors regular

Exactly. Its called mywi. If you don't know what network it is, don't connect. Simple as that.

4. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Apple does prevent using an iPhone as a hotspot but Jailbreaking allows the phone to be used how ever someone wants. This is probably one of the reasons Apple hates jailbreaking.

This is more of an issue of a dishonest person than an issue of Apples. People will always exploit other however possible. It is incumbent upon us as users to blindly click on things when we don't know what they are.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

Chances are this is from a Windows XP computer, not the iPhone. On older versions of Windows if you connect to this ad hoc network "Free Public WiFi" network then the computer will rebroadcast it later if the computer is not connected to any other network (and you say the library's router wasn't working at the time). You will see this network in many public locations because of the way this functionality used to work in XP. Chances are they aren't doing anything malicious. Of course they could be. If you connected to the network it probably wouldn't work.

6. Silenthillnight macrumors member

Most likely, she's just hiding the fact that she's using her phone during work.

7. Claude626 macrumors 6502

This.

Also, iPhone(or any smartphone now adays) users got 3G data. No dire need to connect to a connection you would feel unsafe. Common sense.

8. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen similar hotspot names appearing in other places besides the library, e.g. at Starbucks. Starbucks' hotspot is called attwifi, but often another will appear w/some name like Free Internet or Free Public Internet, on top of routers for nearby businesses. For some reason in my region this is not uncommon at all.

I would be interested to know if there is a way on the Mac to identify the router type. For instance under Linux there is the iwconfig command that prints out limited info about the access point. Maybe somehow I could conclusively identify the router as an iPhone?

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, it is very possible, Aircrack will do that (in junction with mywi or a computer) and it is available for the iPhone.

Now, this is not a "nefarious" activity, she wasn't forcing anyone to join this hotspot, or pulling a gun into anyone to do that, if anyone joined was because they wanted to.

Also Apple can't (and in my opinion, shouldn't even try) to stop any activity, just like the manufacture cannot stop anyone form using a computer or a car in a specific away, it would be like asking a car manufacture to stop people from using the car to rob banks or something like that.

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I'm not aware of any packet sniffing programs on the iPhone but it doesn't matter anyhow. If someone connects to an unknown wireless network with no encryption and passes sensitive information through it then they only have themselves to blame

11. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be darned, you appear to be right:
    http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2006/09/free_public_wif.html

Thanks for that info-

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I call BS. Girls aren't that tech smart.

I kid! I kid!

13. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I just found a video of Aircrack running on an iPod:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R69KLYC7bg

14. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

True in normal life but there will always be people in desperate situations who need Wifi and can't get something safe, either because nothing's available or they don't have time to look for something better.

15. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Or they just plain don't care..

16. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

we are missing an important piece of the story here...was she hot?? :D

17. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

Oh dude, I wish I had taken a photo for you. She was just like a supermodel, except... add 150 pounds and do some reconstructive surgery not very well. Woo! Yeah man, hot like a burn victim.

18. nednarm macrumors 6502

Aircrack never got fully developed iirc. I just tried downloading it and it doesn't work on ios4 unsurprisingly.

19. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

*facepalm* again. This site never ceases to amaze.

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It works if you know where to get it :rolleyes:

21. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Ain't that the truth, though?

22. ivan300 macrumors member

im sick of this misconception about aircrack.

aircrack-ng is a suite of apps
    * airbase-ng -- Multi-purpose tool aimed at attacking clients as opposed to the Access Point (AP) itself.
    * aircrack-ng -- 802.11 WEP and WPA/WPA2-PSK key cracking program.
    * airdecap-ng -- Decrypt WEP/WPA/WPA2 capture files.
    * airdecloak-ng -- Remove WEP Cloaking™ from a packet capture file.
    * airdriver-ng -- Script providing information and allowing installation of wireless drivers.
    * airdrop-ng -- A rule based wireless deauthication tool.
    * aireplay-ng -- Inject and replay wireless frames.
    * airgraph-ng -- Graph wireless networks.
    * airmon-ng -- Enable and disable monitor mode on wireless interfaces.
    * airodump-ng -- Capture raw 802.11 frames.
    * airolib-ng -- Precompute WPA/WPA2 passphrases in a database to use it later with aircrack-ng.
    * airserv-ng -- Wireless card TCP/IP server which allows multiple application to use a wireless card.
    * airtun-ng -- Virtual tunnel interface creator.
    * easside-ng -- Auto-magic tool which allows you to communicate to an WEP-encrypted Access Point without knowing the key.
    * packetforge-ng -- Create various type of encrypted packets that can be used for injection.
    * tkiptun-ng -- Proof-of-concept implementation the WPA/TKIP attack: inject a few frames into a WPA TKIP network with QoS
    * wesside-ng -- Auto-magic tool which incorporates a number of techniques to seamlessly obtain a WEP key in minutes.

The ONLY part of aircrack-ng that was ported is the part which takes captured IV packets and returns the password.
    Without airodump-ng which sniffs the packets and aireplay-ng which does packet injection (among other things) IT IS USELESS !!!@#!#!@

23. Che Castro macrumors 603