Possible early PPC found?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Mar 11, 2014.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I didn't know where else to post this but in the PowerPC Macs section:
    I found a very old Macintosh Peforma 630CD that dates to 1994 in my garage.
    Does anyone know what kind of CPU it has? Would it be a PPC? All I know is it is a 33 Mhz chip that is made by Motorola.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is not a PowerPC machine. It has a 68K CPU in it.

3. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

OK, thanks. I didn't think PPC existed as long ago as that!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The first PowerPC Macs came out in March of 1994.

5. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Really? I didn't know that.
    I think this computer was June of 1994, although technically it could have been created in 1995, as that was the last year these particular models were produced, according to everymac.com.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Any models before the G3s (PM, iMac and iBooks) I'm not to clear on because that was before Jobs came back and took control. During that time you had a busload of models all with confusing names and confusing specs coming out of Apple. Centris, Quadra, Performa, etc.

But, what I do know is that there was a period of overlap from the 68k models to the PowerPC models. I know that because I had to deal with 68k models at art school in '94-96 and my mom's PowerPC Mac. Lots of companies had to release Fat (68k/PowerPC) versions of their apps during that time and it made some difficulties when I couldn't run an app on my mom's Mac.

The whole thing was comparable to PowerPC/Intel and the overlap we had there. Only the whole Universal app thing lasted far longer than Fat apps ever did.

I still have the 68k version of QuarkXPress 3.31 on my Mac IIci (68030 processor) out in the garage.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Thats a 33MHz 68LC040 processor. Its the last 68k processor Apple used before switching to PPC. There were 2 versions, the 68LC040 (in this case, LC=Low Cost) which didn't have a Floating Point unit and the 68040 which did have the FPU build it. I still work on my collection of 68k based Macs. In fact, I just upgraded my Quadra 605 from a LC040 to a full 040.