Possible evidence to support the production delay/no more camera theory

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mpb2000, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/ipod-touch-camera/

Thickness of iPhone: 12.3 mm
    Thickness of iPod Touch: 8.5 mm
    Thickness of iPhone camera: 6 mm

Would have been really hard to cram that camera into the touch. Maybe that's what they had problems with. At least that's what I'm telling myself as I try to decide whether or not to buy or wait. :confused:

Even though we only heard about the production delay rumor a couple of days before the event, there's no way it just happened then because apple wouldn't have been able to turn around and have the new 32/64 GB ipods ready for sale. Of course, the delay could have actually happened months ago and apple pulled the plug on the camera way back then. With the photos of cases with holes where a camera would be, it just doesn't make sense that apple NEVER intended to have a camera on the touch. If that were the case, why would the case makers put the camera in that particular spot? If they were really just guessing, that's a hell of a risk, although putting it in the middle would be the only possible place, due to the thickness.

Ugh.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iPod nano thickness: .24"
    iPod touch thickness: .33"

3. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think the nano camera would have ever gone in the touch. It's too cheap and gimmicky.

4. MVApple macrumors 6502a

A tear down will probably decide whether I get an iPod Touch now or wait for the supposedly rumored camera. A tear down of the 2.5G iPod Touch should tell us whether or not the camera was pulled at the last minute.

5. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm surprised we haven't seen one yet.

6. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well I'm not surprised. Apple USUALLY releases stuff on the day it announces them but the fact that the Touch is being delayed several days also hints at last minute production problems.

As far as I know, the iPod Touch isn't available for sale yet so it shouldn't be a surprise that there hasn't been a tear down yet. I think ifixit should do one come friday or saturday when they are available for sale.

7. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't realize they weren't out yet. Interesting...

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

They weren't going to use the same camera that's in the iPhone.

9. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so what was it going to be? Obviously not the nano camera; they wouldn't have had any problems putting that in. Was it going to be a still camera? Still and video? Just video? Not sure where you're getting your info from, but we'd all certainly like to know.

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Well since the iPod is a iPhone with out the phone part, and the iPhone has a camera (that works well) if they would have stuck it in the iPod it would have worked too.

11. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Except that that isn't true. As the article says, the phone is much thicker than the ipod, making it much harder to make the camera fit. IF they could have made it fit, then yes, it would have worked, but it seems like that isn't a foregone conclusion.

12. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I think stores will be getting them in tomorrow. I'm anxiously awaiting a sound quality test but I'm especially interested in how the iPod 2.5G will sound compared to the Zune HD.

A bit more on the topic. The fact that Apple has not released a 16GB iPod Touch is very strange. I've never seen a company go from 8GB to 32GB for the exact same device. I think something is holding up those 16GB iPod Touches.

I'm assuming they are still trying to clear out old stock of the 8GB model and that in a month or two we should see the return of the 16GB and the 8GB will be dropped completely.

Seriously, 8GB for a device like the iPod Touch is just about a joke now.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Never going to happen....

You might as well buy now if you want one.

14. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Looks like youll have to wait till 4th gen to get the camera.

15. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

i'm banking on a february update with 8gb being dropped and the return of the 16gb, still on the fence with the camera. I think it's a long shot for this generation. Would almost guarantee next september