possible first time mac buyer, need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Oct 29, 2008.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I am a pc user, but I've always liked macs, but could never justify spending the extra money when building a pc is so much less money. Now I dont care as much, and I want to buy a cheap mac to play with, and use alongside my pc.
    My price range is $200-$400, and I've already found a mac mini for $250 that has a 1.25GHZ cpu, 512mb ram, and tiger. Is that a good deal, and a good mac, or is there some other place that sells cheap macs that someone can recommend?

http://www.gainsaver.com/Catalog/List.aspx?CCode=1015^Apple&CCode=1228^Mac+Mini

edit: also, is it possible/easy to install aftermarket hdds in the mac mini?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That may not be a bad price, I haven't looked at the prices on that model for a while, but I think you would be better off with an intel model instead of the PPC model.

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I would take a look on Craigslist to see what you can find out there. I live in Michigan and did a quick search on mac minis around here and found a bunch for what seem to be decent prices. I would have to agree that Intel would be the best way to go.

Keep looking around and you will come across a great deal. Mac Mini's are a great place to start switching over. That's where I started and now I have gone from that to a black macbook, and now a 20" iMac!

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, I also +1 for the Intel cpu. With SL (Snow Leopard) around the corner with better multi core processing and grand central, Intel will ensure you won't miss out on the added performance. SL is the next version of Mac OS that will look exactly like Leopard on the surface but will have much better performance. You won't get the most out of it with a Mac Mini, but PPC almost 99% guarantees you to miss out. Maybe a refurb from the Apple Online Store?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. It would stink for you to really like it, but have a difficult time upgrading to a new OS, finding new programs to run on it. Power PC is dying, my friend.

6. EchoAdmin macrumors newbie

EchoAdmin

Beware of gainserver....i've heard alot of bad things about that company. I agree with firstapple, craigslist is one of the best places to find a mac. I got my macbook pro for $800 and it was just purchased last christmas.

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I would shop around and try to get an intel mac mini, even if its a core solo.

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thanks for the advice everyone, Ill take everything into account, and look at craigslist and apple refurb. Just wondering, what is supposedly bad about gainsaver?

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm not sure -- it's much easier to just get an external HD, of course. That will also serve as a backup system.