Possible first time over heat, anything to be concerned about?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djmitchcraven1, Mar 9, 2012.

1. djmitchcraven1 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. So I was playing Counter Strike:Source for about 3 hours with my MBP elevated so heat can dissipate and as I was playing the game started lagging (it was running smoothly all night). Then when it became unresponsive on my screen(yet I can see and hear everything other players were doing) and when I would press escape the mac home screen came up but immediately disappeared and it went back to the unresponsive game screen. I had to shut off the mac by holding the power button and since turning i back on its been fine but I was wondering, if it was an overheat issue,is there any damage concerns I should have? or just lay off the games for so many hours in a row? thanks in advance.

2. thundersteele, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, you should be worried. Cooling on your machine is not working properly - a combination of cooling and CPU throttling should prevent heat related shutdowns at all times, independent of the load put on the CPU.

There should not be actual damage, since the shutdown happens to prevent exactly this.

Edit: After reading the other comments, I come to think that a game crash is the more likely explanation - no heat issue!

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is what playing on OSX gets you. You came just sort of crashed and is buggy.
    If it was heat related you either see a lot of artifacts on the screen with a crash and funny colors right there, or everything gets much slower but doesn't stall completely, or if heat really is too high too quickly it just shuts off. Blackout.

I think you game simply crashed. I didn't try a lot of gaming on OSX but I had a few crashes and the GPU runs at 500/1100 Mhz in OSX, while I run it at 600/1300 in Windows without any overheating or other issues. I even ran higher clocks (725/1600) in Windows with most games running well but I stepped back to the lower clocks because one game seemed a bit less stable.
    OSX games are just buggy underperforming trash, that doesn't get a whole lot of attention from developers.

BTW I played CSS on my MBP on Windows with over clocked setting for hours on a 2 day LAN Party. Never had any problems. It is not a very demanding game.

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I also agree that either CSS or Steam crashed causing your issue. In the future, try force quitting (cmd + option +esc)

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your computer did not overheat. The game crashed.

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Artifacts on the screen are not due to heat.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Can you read the model number and the year off of the bottom of your computer?

Thanks!