Possible fix for duplicate albums (worked for me)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spazma7ik, Sep 12, 2009.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Okay so you have this problem where it shows the same album multiple times, and you know they are named exactly the same because under each one, all the same songs are on it, right?

Okay well what I did was highlighted all of my music, right clicked and hit get info, then check the box for Album Artist and leave it blank. Then hit ok and let iTunes delete that field for all tags, and now all of the albums should be okay.

Or if you like having the Album artist filled in then perhaps you could just make sure they are all the same, but I'm not sure if that'd work.

2. pasupasu macrumors newbie

use the compilation checkbox

You don't have to delete all Artist names. I'd rather recommend looking the "this song is part of a compilation" checkbox which appears under "get info"->"info" if you had only marked one song.
    If you want to change this for more than one song go to "get info"->"options".

I don't use the Englsh version of iTunes, so the checkbox is probably named differently.

Edit: If you have non-English albums that include for example French/Spanish accents or CJK characters, iTunes tends to split albums randomly if you don't change the ID3-tag version to v2.4 (right-click->"change ID3-tag version")

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sorry, but even though it works, having to use the "Compilation" option is not a good workaround. I have three albums right now that are showing up on my iPhone twice, but none of them are "compilations" -- they are albums by single artists. If I turn on the "Compilation" option, then the albums don't appear as they should in iTunes. You're solving one problem by creating another.

Apple needs to fix this problem ASAP. I have been working on trying to fix my albums all day and NOTHING works (beyond the Compilation option, which as I've said is unacceptable to me).