Possible Fix for the Firmware 1.7 issues!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nizmoz, Jun 29, 2009.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Attn: All HD owners.....Hitachi and WD mostly. Seagate might work but not sure.

Well for WD owners, it does seem the drives might have a way to force them to 1.5gbps. This COULD be the issue. We might need to force our drives back down to 1.5gbps to make them work again in our laptops. We have a jumper like all the WD drives do, that we need to insert into the correct spot to activate the 1.5 speeds. People with Hitachi's a person was successful doing this with a jumper on the drive and it worked. It allowed his laptop to behave normally again.

See this as a explanation.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1679&p_created=#jumper

Going to try this tonight if I get time.

Here is a good PDF from WD explaining the speeds.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc..._tbl=9&p_id=1337&p_created=1126109811&p_olh=0

I am thinking that we got the update, and the update isn't allowing correct speeds with some drives at 3.0gbps. So we need to tell the drive to stop trying to use auto at 3.0gbps and force it back down to 1.5gbps. This might resolve our problems.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

My fix was to NOT buy the macbook pro 13" and keep using my 2.4 aluminum macbook collector's edition. :p

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

My fix was to NOT buy the macbook pro 13" and keep using my 2.4 aluminum macbook collector's edition. :p Runs pretty good with my seagate 7200.4! :D

4. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

5. crzdmniac macrumors regular

Which drives are people having issues with? I have the 500GB WD Blue, and with the firmware update applied it works fine.

6. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Those settings are for desktop drives, not laptop/mobile drives.

7. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

The laptop drives have jumpers on them as well. The PDF was pulled from the WD Scorpio Blue Technical info on WD page. :rolleyes:

Wow look jumpers!

[​IMG]

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Have you read as to what drives are referenced in that Document? The WD Scorpio model isn't in them.

Also: [​IMG]

This is the WD Blue, and those jumpers settings clearly don't match the mobile drive.

Stop spreading misinformation. I'm not saying that the solution is not to downgrade the SATA bus to 1.5Gbps, but you clearly linked the wrong document.

9. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Again the PDF was removed from their Mobile drives technical info. Do a search in their Tech info area for that model and jumper settings.

Either way this document talks about how the jumpers change the speed. All WD drives have these jumpers just not in the exact same spot.

[​IMG]

10. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816