>>> Possible Forthcoming Apple Scam for Reception issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeylandYutani, Jun 26, 2010.

1. WeylandYutani macrumors newbie

Apple MUST know by know whether it is a hardware or software problem.

Their silence on the issue is disturbing.

Perhaps they have realised it is indeed a hardware issue so to reduce costs they will WAIT until after the 14 days right for full refund expires.

Then they will give you REFURBISHED iPhones NOT new ones - thereby reducing their own costs.

This will also deter people with the reception problem from getting an exchange and putting up with a lesser evil - who knows what you may be getting as a refurbished unit.

Your views?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

Yes, it's clear that Apple planned for people to have bad reception when holding the phone. :rolleyes:

3. WeylandYutani thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not the point.

The point is they have realised they have made a boo boo (post release) and are going to try to minimise THEIR OWN damage by putting it on the customers - with refurbished phones.

4. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Counting only presales: that means they need to have 600,000 refurbs of a brand new item laying around somewhere

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I would rather Apple take a few days to figure out what is really causing the problem.

6. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

You're way off base. Clearly Apple didn't see this issue coming and the phone launched only on Wednesday / Thursday with the major media and customer pressure about this problem kicking in only in the last 48 hours. Apple's initial off the cuff comments, one from Steve Jobs and a quick PR paragraph were huge disasters. Apple can see that now as the media coverage only increases. Apple has smartly retreated to really look into if the problem is a hardware issue, a production issue, a software issue, or a combination of them. They may well find it can be fixed or heavily mitigated through software, or they might find they have to recall the whole batch of phones. If it is software they need at least few days to find the issue and test and approve a patch. If it is hardware they can't admit that until they have fully thought through the process of how they are going to replace 1 to 2 million phones, and how that affects production, future countries launches etc. The worst thing they could do now is say "It's hardware and we can't tell you how or when we are going to fix it." People would go crazy! Instead they are being smart, finding a COMPLETE fix (software OR hardware) and a COMPLETE way to implement that fix in a way that keeps the Apple name as unblemished as possible. Apple will address this, likely next week, but when they talk next about this issue they will have complete answers because they have already see what happens when their comments are half baked.

Calm down, Apple will make this right.

7. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

Agreed, I reckon Steve (assuming it really was him) made those comments before he realized the extent of the problem, because it is true that phones lose signal quality when you cover the antenna.

I will wait until Apple make an actual announcement before joining the angry mob.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't think they have refurbished phones just yet, and won't for a while.

9. synagence macrumors 6502a

Don't know about US law, but UK law has a nice provision in that an item must last a reasonable amount of time for the type of device and be free of manufacturer defects.... in the UK if a device was found to be faulty at manufacture Apple would be liable for repair (or other remedy) up to 5 years down the line ...

Consumer law in the UK is pretty strong and it just wouldn't fly....
    If Apple admitted in a month that it was a design defect then anyone on a contract in the UK at least would be able to break the contract unless Apple made suitable remedies to the situation

10. WeylandYutani thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info!

Didn't know about the 5 year period. Are you positive about that?

Cheers,

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

A senior rep just called me to provide me an update and he said that engineering is still investigating, they have a sufficient sample size so they do not need any more broken phones, and that there is no further information at this time + to check back in 48 hours.

12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Apple has always replaced faulty phones with refurbs.

I don't see how this is a scam. In many cases refurbs are BETTER phones than new ones. New phones undergo minimal testing, refurbs are put through much more significant testing.

I bet if I put a refurb and a new phone side by side, you couldn't tell the difference.

Many, many other manufacturers do this. Microsoft did it with the Xbox 360 during the red ring of death fiasco.

13. WeylandYutani thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not true.

If you phone breaks down within 14 days you can get a NEW ONE according to Apple Support.

Not a refurb with dust under the screen and a 'special' refurb serial number with a few dead pixels to spare.

Paleeease. Typical experience of refurbs is that you will end up spending most of your days re-visiting the Apple store to replace your refurb with another refurb. That's a fact. Look at all the forums about refurbs.

14. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

Well i'm obviously all for a fix as long as Apple doesn't stick us with a phony software update that did nothing but change the behavior in the way our cellular bars are visually read.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what refurb phones? they cant keep pace as is LOL

16. synagence macrumors 6502a

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

All you need to know :)

17. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

You're crazy. I have not seen any such threads. I have a refub MBP and I have NO issues and it is cosmetically PERFECT.

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

One question. On day 15 where will Apple be getting all these refurbished iPhone 4's from>

19. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

A senior rep just called me and said all comments by other senior reps are wrong.:rolleyes:

21. shadygrove macrumors regular

In all honesty as much as I love iOS, there are more bugs within it than with the phone itself from my experience. I have noticed safari hanging up in various instances. I am still totally satisfied and understand nothing is perfect.