Possible GPU refresh?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mobiousblack, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mobiousblack macrumors member

Hey guys I was wondering is there any possibility that the next imacs might have a gpu refresh as well as a cpu refresh? Honestly I don't care much about a haswell upgrade as much as a gpu upgrade for better gaming performance and thats the only reason I am holding back pulling the trigger on a current gen iMac.

2. Bear macrumors G3

There's likely to be new GPUs as well (as discussed in other threads about the next iMac) as there are usually GPU changes with news systems.

The question is will it be one we already know about - if so don't expect much more than 5% or so performance improvement. Or will it be one that is new for the iMac like the 680MX was - in which case it might be quite a nice boost.

The other probable improvement that you would be interested in is that the Fusion drive and the Apple SSD options are likely to use PCIe based SSD for better performance.

If I needed a new system right now, I would probably not hesitate in buying the current system, however if you can wait, just but the next iMac when it's released whatever performance improvements there are.

3. mobiousblack thread starter macrumors member

I can definitely wait as I wont be able to purchase one for another 25 days anyways seeing as I am currently traveling, I just hope they refresh them in time for when I get back. Thanks for the informative reply Bear.

4. Serban Suspended

the results for the imac 2013 are already showing online so..i guessing September or October at maximum will be released.

The gpu will be slightly better if they put only the 780M which is at max 10% boost from 680MX, if they do like last year to introduce a special nvidia card like 780MX that will be a nice boost and for all means a gaming machine like is a productivity machine.

But in regards of the 21.5" the GPU can add more boost if they put some 750 base model and 770 BTO high end model.

5. Serban Suspended

i really hope for 21.5" base model- 750M
    21.5"high end -760M with option BTO for 770M
    for 27" base model - 770M and fo high end 780MX

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

There are no results for the 2013 iMac showing up online at this point.

7. Serban Suspended

yes seems that the k CPU are for hackintosh..sry