possible graphics failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wuiffi, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anybody has seen something like this before:
    [​IMG]

I am on a 15" 2010 MBP with Gt 330M and had a logic board replacement due to the failing chipset 4 months ago. I guess this could be another failing graphics chip, however I have not seen any kernel panics/reboots yet

Most of the time it happens at the boarders of an window and I think it happens from time to time when switching graphic chips

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say so, it doesn't look normal and that type of artifact occurring in multiple applications, i.e., Finder and what not only helps confirm it.

Bring it into Apple for Diagnosis?

3. leman macrumors 604

This looks like VRAM corruption to me (or at least some corruption during the copy)... it is very interesting that some UI elements are corrupted and some are not - probably due to as OS X caching their image in VRAM textures, so some parts of the UI are more 'lucky' then the other ones.

4. Wuiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I don't want to bring it to the service provider to run a diagnose since it's out of warranty and they charge for it.

Problem is, that I can't force the problem, so my "manual" diagnose is taking a while.
    I tried VRAM and SMC reset (both didn't help).
    Then I thought that it might be a RAM (user upgraded) problem (since the iGP uses it), but first booted into recovery and performed a disk check. There were a few problems and I repaired them. Since then there have not been any issues.

Anyway thanks for your input!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess if you don't want to put any money into it, you'll have resign yourself to live with it until it gets to the point where it will fail outright.

Good luck

6. Wuiffi, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

Wuiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

so I ran all day without any issues. If they come back, I'll try the original ram and if that doesn't help, I'll get it to the service provider for diagnosis. It has to survive at least until broadwell ^^

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Some tests you can make:
    - Try filling entirely your RAM to check if will happen a kernel panic, BBoD, etc...
    - Try forcing one or another GPU with gfxCardStatus trying to discover in which video adapter the problem occurs;
    - Try the original RAM modules.

If you can't isolate the issue nor solve it, your only option is to contact Apple assistance.

8. Wuiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I did the second one and found out that it occured on the iGPU. most of the time when switching back from dGPU.
    when I then again switched to the dGPU the artifacts were gone again. that's why I thought it could be the aftermarket ram.

anyway thanks for the help!

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Possibly... try also switching ram modules to check if things get worse. Maybe only the second module is defective and if so, maybe it will prevent your system from starting.