possible hack to increase capacity in future

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jimb2985, Nov 6, 2007.

1. jimb2985 macrumors newbie

right now it probably isn't cost effective, but when flash prices come down, does anyone know how easy it would be to buy a 3rd party flash chip and add it to the ipod touch in a few years? Thanks

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

You'd have to pretty much do open-heart surgery on your iPod Touch to change the flash memory chips, which are soldered on to the logic board. Difficulty: The "If you have to ask how hard it is, it's too hard" kind of hard.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

by the time prices come down that much it will probably be more cost effective to just upgrade to a newer touch.

4. georgeoommen macrumors regular

even if this were possible, how would you get the OS onto it?

5. cwolves macrumors regular

the 16GB touch has two flash chips, presumably 8GB each. I'm not sure on the 8GB model.

there's two possibilities here - Either the OS is on one and the other is entirely media storage or the two are RAID'd in some way.

If the first option is true, it MIGHT simply be a matter of removing the right one and replacing it.

that's a VERY large might and I wouldn't count on it.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Full Restore would do it - it clears everything down and starts again. I think there would be far greater problems to worry about than this though - you'd need pin compatible chips and some way of desoldering and resoldering Surface Mount chips. An investment of $100K or so should set you up so you could do it ;)

7. atthecross macrumors 6502

pocketpctechs.com would be able to do if it is possible. They have been doing it for WM PDA's for years.