Possible hard drive failing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dlewis23, May 25, 2010.

1. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I'm about 99% sure my hard drive on my Mac pro is failing. For the past view days I've heard a odd clicking sound that will only last for a few seconds, my Mac pro will randomly wake from sleep at times but only part of the way (no display comes on) then go back to sleep. And after my last reboot things are slowwwwwwwww.

It takes about 40 minutes to repair permissions. I've never had it take more then 5 min. When I verify. The disk it tells me the volume is corrupt. I tried using another tool to check the drive using smart but it failed to finish the check.

Does anyone know of any other software that mig help me confirm this 100%

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no software that can confirm that 100%. New HD is like 50$ anyway

3. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I know. But 50 bucks is 50 bucks. It wasn't on my list of money to be spending. I've spent enough money lately.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Backup your data then and wait for complete HDD failure ;) You got all symptoms whose lead to this.
    Test your HDD with DU or other tools like SpeedTools, DiskWarrior software (not free).

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, it's better than a logic board failure... I'm sure you're willing to spend 50$ to keep your +2000$ Mac Pro running, just save one bar trip to next month

6. iMacprobook macrumors member

Do make a back up if you haven't already, then wait for it to pass away...

7. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

$50 now, or anywhere up to $1500 later for data recovery.

Think about it.

8. DualShock macrumors 6502

Definitely possible that your hard drive is failing. However, FYI the part I quoted from your post is expected behavior if you have Wake On Demand turned on, as explained by Apple here.

9. dlewis23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well my data is always backed up. But even if it wasn't and my drive failed, I'd pull the drive apart my self and put the platters in a new drive. Not like I haven't done it before.

10. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Other than the slowness issue, that doesn't sound like a failing drive.

A failing drive will not cause the computer to wake from sleep.

Repairing permissions takes a very long time, especially in the latest versions of Mac OS X.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Wake on Demand isn't the drive directly though. The system activates (logic board), then it cycles the drive.

Unfortunately, the clicking + slow throughputs + constantly reparing permissions are strong indications of a failing drive (odd clicking sound is basically a dead giveaway). :(

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And it's better that it's the drive. New logic board would be +500$ while new HD is 1/10 of that

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

By cost comparison, definitely. ;)

1TB can be had for $100USD or less (consumer models; $100 = 7200rpm 6.0Gb/s Caviar Black). Even 2TB (Greens) can be had for $140USD (checked yesterday or day before on newegg).

14. strausd macrumors 68030

Or 2 TB Hitachi 7200rpms for $140

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hitachi consumer models = NOOOOOO! :eek:

I've not had the best experience with Hitachi's consumer lines, and the support is awfull. :(