Possible hard drive problem on SR MBP?

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hey

My machine's hard drive is acting strange. It sounds like it's spinning down during normal operation, but that's not actually happening. Even when I ticked off "put hard drives to sleep" it still does this rather often, maybe once every minute or so.

The drive is a 120 gig FUJITSU MHW2120BH. There's probably nothing wrong, but at the very least this is very annoying.

jamieorc

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
Plunk sound in drive

I've got the same drive in a new MBP I bought 2 weeks ago. I few days ago, I noticed the drive started making this small "plunk" sound about 1 to 5 times per minute. It sounds like a small, muted marimba key being hit. I'm rather concered that this is an early indication of a faulty drive.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I was going to verify it, but I got a full exchange for my MBP :p due to the yellow screen issue. Anyhow my new one does the exact same thing, so I figure it's just the way this specific 120 gig hard drive functions. I'll be upgrading to a 250-320 gig as soon as they're released in 5400rpm anyhow, 120 is TINY!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You sure you aren't getting the sound of the cooling fans and the hard drive mixed up?

I can't even hear my hard drive spin in my MBP (5,400RPM 160GB).

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
You sure you aren't getting the sound of the cooling fans and the hard drive mixed up?

I can't even hear my hard drive spin in my MBP (5,400RPM 160GB).
Yeah its the hard drive because it's a noise that hard drives typically make, kind of like the one when the hard drive shuts itself down to save battery, only less pronounced.

poordoc

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
I've got the same drive in a new MBP I bought 2 weeks ago. I few days ago, I noticed the drive started making this small "plunk" sound about 1 to 5 times per minute. It sounds like a small, muted marimba key being hit. I'm rather concered that this is an early indication of a faulty drive.
I have the new Fujitsu 160g drive, and I have the same plunk sound from upper left 'esc' key area. I am not sure if this is the way it should be. The drive is working well so far, however, I am still concerned too.